1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Utah relaxes arcane drinking laws

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ServeItUp, Mar 19, 2009.

1. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Even going there a bit on business I found ways around these laws, but at least Utah will approach normalcy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090319/ap_on_re_us/utah_liquor_laws

I did get a kick out of the guy from Houston complaining about Utah's memberships. Please, I had to get a membership at a bar down that way for the two days I was there.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Went to one place in Moab that forced you to order food with any beer that you got. They had bottomless 50 cent chips and salsa on the menu just for that purpose.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I was at a restaurant in Orem and when I ordered a second beer the waitress said she couldn't set it on the table until I completely finished the first one.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

You had to get a membership to drink in Houston???

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

By down that way he probably means Waxahachie...

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I had to get one in Tyler a few years ago when visiting a friend there and we went to a bar. Found it strange, but, oh well.

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Yes, Houston. Somewhere on the north side, among strip malls and tract homes, which could be anywhere. It was 10 years ago, they had live music, and fortunately my friend had a membership and she ordered the drinks. Admittedly, though, it wasn't like Dallas where one place required a membership, and then another place six blocks away did not.

My incredulity is anyone from Texas complaining about arcane alcohol laws.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It is fitting for ServeItUp to be on this thread. And if you have to be in Utah, any and all barriers to drinking should be removed.

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

These guys rejoice!

[​IMG]

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

At least in Texas you can buy beer on Sunday.

11. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

When I lived in Raleigh, bars/clubs that served less than 50% food were considered "private" and technically, you had to be a member or a guest of a member to be allowed in. Once in, there were no restrictions, but it was a three-day wait to be a member by law.... Made for some interesting times.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

A former colleague and I went to a bar in Norfolk, Va. like that once. It was a members-only bar that opened at 1 a.m. and closed around 6 or 7 a.m. We heard about the place, went there after the bar we were at closed, and waited for a member to walk up to the door. He agreed to sign us in as his guests if we bought him a couple beers. Done and done. Lots of weird cats in that place, but the beer was cheap.

Draft saved Draft deleted