1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Utah national parks trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Max Mercy, May 8, 2009.

1. Max Mercy

Max Mercy Member

Hi everyone:

So my wife and I want to do a roadtrip through the national parks in Southern Utah next month. I was thinking we'd fly into Salt Lake or Vegas and just drive through Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands and Arches (we've done the Grand Canyon already). Maybe spend two days each at Zion and Bryce, a day each at Canyonlands and Arches. Give or take, of course. In all, we'd like it to be a 7-to-9-day trip.

Have any of you fine folk done such a trip? Is it feasible to cram all that in? I know people will say pick two (Bryce and Zion or Canyonlands and Arches), but I'm the ambitious sort and want to hit them all. The driving distances don't seem to daunting at all.

Thanks for your help!

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I've done a similar trip. Like you, I opted for spending a day or so at each place, though I lingered in Moab so I could do some mountain biking.

I love that part of the country so I loved the drives between the parks.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Max, I did this type of trip, albeit solo, a couple of years back and was really disappointed in myself for not slowing down and spending more time in a few places, rather than try to see it all.

I spent way too long at places like Vegas and Tahoe, rather than spending more time in Yosemite and Crater Lake.

4. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

An EXCELLENT trip. Do not miss Dead Horse Point which is a state park in Utah along your way. It is famous for several scenes shot by Ansel Adams.

We went via Vegas and rented a car there. After visiting the parks you mentioned, we drove on to Mesa Verde Nat'l Park (just over the Colo border) stayed there for a day and a half and then flew home - - to DC - - out of Durango Colo via Denver. In ten days , you can do all of this; we did.

I'd be leery about going in July/August. Weather then can be outrageously hot. Check the "climatology" and pick the best time of the year. Take a LARGE memory chip for your camera; you will be taking a boatload of pictures.

Enjoy!

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This is a great trip. You day allotment is perfect. (Although, you could easily squeeze another half-day out of Arches.) Make sure you bring a big SD card. Some of the best scenes in the country.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I agree. If you're going to squeeze more time out of a park I would do more at Arches or Zion.

7. Max Mercy

Max Mercy Member

Thanks for the input -- I can't wait to make the trip. We drove through Zion very briefly on our way to the north rim of the Grand Canyon a few years ago (on a side trip from Vegas), and I've been wanting to go back ever since.

8. taller hack

taller hack Member

Definitely up the Arches time, great place. Have you two been to Monument Valley? Definitely worth the side trip if you haven't.

9. I haven't been on this trip, but my parents made it and really enjoyed their time.

If you haven't heard of it, Tripadvisor.com is a great resource for travel plans. I am using a ton for a trip to Seattle / Olympic National Park / Mt. Rainier / Mt. St. Helens.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Will add that you should up the Arches time. It's tremendous over there.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I second the recommendation for Monument Valley. We've gone there 3 of the last 4 summers. Beautiful place.

Zion and Bryce Canyon are both spectacular. I still need to get to Arches and Moab.

It's funny - the Grand Canyon is the hot tourist sport in the southwest, but I think Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelly, Zion, Bryce Canyon and Antelope Canyon are all far cooler to see. They all have much smaller crowds... and most of the visitors are from Europe.

12. taller hack

taller hack Member

Echo Canyon De Chelly as well, not a lot of people, really nice spot.

Draft saved Draft deleted