1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Utah mayor gets caught writing for paper under fake name

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Illino, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Illino

Illino Member

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/11/utah-mayor-unmasked-as-fictitious-good-news-reporter/1?loc=interstitialskip

Amazing.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think that reflects much more poorly on the paper than the mayor. They don't bother to check on where they're getting articles from...? I could understand if it was just a release here or there, but eventually I'd want to meet the guy who's been writing for me for two years.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Citizen journalism at its best. This is what happens when you try to go cheap. I wonder if the mayor made any money out of the deal, since it was based on page views.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

From the link:

"He defended his journalistic sleight of hand to The Salt Lake Tribune by invoking the names of other Americans -- Benjamin Franklin, James Madison and Alexander Hamilton -- who published under pen names."

Yeah, but he's forgetting the big difference: The publications knew who was actually writing them, and allowed them to use the pen names. In this case, the publications didn't know who was writing to them, which was stupid on their part.

And, especially in Revolution times, they used pen names so the British wouldn't be able to arrest them.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Another shining moment for the Deseret News.

6. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Arrest them? Ever hear of Patrick Henry? Give me liberty or give me death. The British gave him death.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I guess I better set up a meeting with my top freelancer -- Heywood Jablome.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Um, no. Henry lived to 1799.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Henry#Sarah.27s_illness

Maybe you're thinking of Nathan Hale, who was caught spying against the British? He was hung, which is what they did to spies back then.

9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

lol Nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted