1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UT (University of Tennessee) $200 million in debt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printit, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, they've already seceded once, and nearly did a second time.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Them Bammers are ruining our credit Pawwwwl.

Lots of states have the "no public funds for sports" laws, and the accounting types long ago established the loopholes around that. Do you honestly think Austin Peay or ETSU is breaking even on this dog and pony show even with massive student subsidies?

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Unlikely, but hopefully today will be step in the direction of ETSU bringing back football, so then they can cook the books with the rest of them!

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Where did the 200 million they owe come from? I doubt if the athletic department went to a bank or to the capital markets and borrowed the money, pledging athletic department revenues as colalteral. I bet they borrowed from other fund balances in other parts of the state government. Which would normally considered an expenditure of public funds.

For example, I once worked at a county where the police department and the roads department were funded by seperate mill levies and had sepearate cash balances. But if the police departmetn had "lent" the roads department money to build roads it would have been considered an expenditure of public funds. But athletic departments play by different rules. The University of Colorado does much the same thing as Tenessee.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My guess is they were state-backed capital construction bonds, which are used (in my state, anyway) to build dorms, academic buildings, state office buildings, highways, etc.

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Where the hell would they play? Science Hill's stadium?

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Probably to start. Supposedly looking at 2015. The students passed the fee yesterday. They've just built the soccer stadium and a new baseball stadium, so maybe they are thinking football stadium, too. I have no idea if the soccer stadium could be retrofit for both. I don't know of anywhere else on campus they could play because it's built up. I certainly hope they aren't returning to the Dome, although they do still have the turf. If they do that, what's the point?

Draft saved Draft deleted