1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UT (University of Tennessee) $200 million in debt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printit, Jan 28, 2013.

1. printit

printit Member

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/01/28/tennessee-is-200-million-in-debt-spends-21-million-per-year-paying-it-off/

I mean, holy shit. Does anyone know/remember of any college program getting that far behind?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: UT $200 million in debt

That would be the last program I would think would have that problem.

To be as profitable as that place is in football, men's basketball and women

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

About 10 percent of that debt is for coach buyouts. And a huge chunk went towards renovating the stadium to make more "premium" spaces.

Looks like a school got too big for its britches.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Unless I missed it someplace, the story does not indicate how much of this $200 million is long-term bonded debt on the various facility improvements (sort of like my long-term morgage debt). If UT owes, say, $140 million on such projects, but has 30 years or so to pay that off, it's a much less dire scenario. And if that's the case, $21 million in annual debt service isn't that much.

And if they quit firing coaches, in 3-4 years they'll have a windfall of sorts because all their failures will be off the books.

Now, if their annual operational deficit is $20 million or so (which it's not), then they are in some serious mess.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Pls amend headline. There are two UTs.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I thought it meant Utah.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

University of Tampa?

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The article said that much of the debt is from stadium renovation. So it would be like a mortgage payment. But if you can't make your mortgage payment it is still a big problem. Doesn't this scholl sponser lots of sports. I can see a bunch of sports outside football and basketball getting dropped.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There's really one UT and it isn't this one.

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Toledo?

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Tennessee is in no danger of missing its mortgage payment.

Micro did a pretty good job of explaining why this isn't as dire as it appears.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Hell, I saw that thread title and thought the San Diego paper was about to go under.

Draft saved Draft deleted