1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UT to fan: You cheer too much!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Perry White, Oct 12, 2006.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I love watching the eyes of a Texas fan pop out when you say that. When that happens, the eyes of Texas are on the ground.

As for the worst, I nominate On Wisconsin, if for no other fucking reason than 80 percent of the high schools around here use it, which means I hear that goddam song about 1,000 times per year, give or take.

You know how James Garner said he made up his own words to Hail to the Chief in My Fellow Americans? I do the same thing.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not in your lifetime.

And it seems to be hated so much . . . that several schools have copied UT and have their own checkerboard end zones

And Rocky Top . . . sucks as a banjo-fiddlin' tune and rocks as a marching band fight song.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

love the checkerboard, hate rocky top

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If Adams wanted her to write a column on having to sit and watch the game in an atmosphere where she couldn't cheer (as was mentioned on the loss of credential thread: "The most recent had been Sports Editor John Adams' profile of a woman who was asked by UT not to cheer so much at Neyland Stadium because she was disturbing other fans. After the brouhaha broke, Adams used one of the News Sentinel's credentials to bring the woman into the press box. He had in mind her writing a column about what it was like to watch a UT game in a situation in which she could not cheer."), please explain to me how she wouldn't be working?

Spare me the "professional journalists" elitism. In that instance, she would be there to work, since she's writing on the experience. If she was there and cheering, I'd be the first person to get into her Kool-aid. If she doesn't and does a column on it to run in the paper or on the website, then she's as entitled as anyone else.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I was at a game a few years back and the band started belting out Cheeseburger in Paradise during a timeout, and I was singing a few of the words, and this old bluehair turned around and looked at me as if I'd taken a dump in her chair. "Would you pleeease shut up!" I smiled broadly, lifted my stein, looked straight into her lifeless eyes and sang even louder, starting from scratch:

"Oh, I tried to amend my carnivorous habits
    MADE IT NEARLY A QUARTER AND A HALF ... "

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The perfect ending to this story would be if the students banded together to take her into their section.

Sorry, but I'm old school. I don't like the thought of stuffy bluehairs taking over sports arenas.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it's funny that UT is mad at a fan for cheering too much and they're mad at the Knoxville paper for not cheering enough...

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Welcome to Michigan Stadium and Crisler Arena.

9. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

My understanding is that the fan didn't write a column on her experience. Adams brought her to the box so HE could write about it. If I'm wrong about that, somebody tell me.
    If I'm right, then no way in hell does she belong in the press box on a credential issued to a newspaper that it is supposed to use to write about the game. NO EFFING WAY is that right. And that's not elitism.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

"Rocky Top" isn't Tennessee's fight song.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Story said she was supposed to write a column about what it's like to watch a game and not be able to cheer. I don't care so much about her being in the press box. I think it's a bad idea for a story, especially since it seems she would be stretching her gray matter to put a couple sentences together.

Since it hasn't appeared, I'm thinking I'm right.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

As time's gone on, I've come to the realization that press boxes are not the mosques or operating rooms people make them out to be.

They can be, at times, pretty unprofessional and pretty "un- sacred" places.

While I agree it might not have been the best idea to bring a fan into the press box to observe her observing the game (it actually sounds like the kind of 'staged' thing TV might do)... I can think of far worse sins.

The thing to get fired up about is UT pulling the credential. Just like the Royals pulled credentials because they didn't like the questions being asked at a press conference. Or when the Vikings confiscated a station's video tape of an injury that occurred during an open practice.

Please let's not lose sight of the really important problems that could end up affecting us all.

Draft saved Draft deleted