1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UT to fan: You cheer too much!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Perry White, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know... Based on the number of people who shouldn't be in the press box but are there anyway, it becomes a judgment call. Adams is pretty well-respected and I think he was just looking for an interesting story. If this lady cheers in the press box, she should be gone immediately.

2. audreyld

audreyld Guest

He's gross, and I hate the amount of time cameras are pointed at him acting like a whacko on our sidelines.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

OK, so the next time you cover a game, are you guys going to ask for a credential for your significant other? There are rules to prevent folks without a job from being in the pressbox? Do they get violated by some people (usually the school)? Yes. Does that mean you/your organization should disregard those rules?

Adams was way out of line for bringing a fan into the box for a story. Wouldn't it have been a better story if he had got his ass out into the stadium and observe the nut job during a game?

Now that Adams' paper is cross-wise with UT over the player access issue, pulling a stunt like this undermines the paper's position.

Adams was wrong. He should be disciplined by his paper. Tennessee should suspend HIS credential for a game.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I know, more time should be devoted to Beavo falling asleep on the sidelines. Fucking Longhorns

5. I have, and I don't disagree with you. But my point is that this woman, completely loony as she is, hasn't broken any laws or rules.

If I'm an opposing fan in Knoxville or Tallahassee or Eugene or places like it, I'll probably be looked at funny or with contempt if I'm loud and obnoxious (but clean and non-confrontational) while cheering for my team. Am I interfering with other fans' ability to "enjoy" the game if I'm the only guy cheering loudly for Bumblefuck State in a section filled with Donkeyass Tech fans? I bet some old, crotchety Donkeyass Tech partisan might think so. What's the difference here?

Is UT going to eject a Kentucky or South Carolina fan for cheering for his team if other (UT) fans claim it makes them uncomfortable?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You know, I don't have a problem with ADams bringing her into the press box with the sole purpose of a column.
    If she acts up, she's gone and she knows that. And seriously, how much worse than the usual group of boosters, trustees and fanboys that EVERY press box has can she be? And by that, I refer not to her usual self as captured in audio and video, but under her own control?
    I think it could have been an interesting column...

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

god forbid some STAND at a concert

why can't you just enjoy the gin blossoms sitting down like the rest of us?

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Not to threadjack, and I'm not a UT fan, but I love Rocky Top. Love it, love it, love it.

9. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Right, that's exactly what I was saying, that we need more shots of BEVO on the sidelines. Brilliant post there, man. [/sarcasm]

10. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

You're wrong, Slappy.
    I realize that the home team often lets in a bunch of boosters/fans, etc., but the press box is supposed to be a WORKING press box. That's why they make an announcement before games about no cheering.
    If Adams had cleared it with the school, OK ... maybe. I still think he was thumbing his nose at UT by bringing her in. Nothing wrong with that. But in the issuing of a press pass by a school/organization, there is an implicit understanding that the credential is for those professional journalists who are there to work.
    Nothing wrong with Adams writing a column about the fan, about tweaking UT fans and the school for calling her out. But he had no business bringing her into the press box on a credential issued to his paper.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

SMU's fight song is the worst. "She'll be comin' 'round the mountain when she comes ... "

No joke.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

how about 'i've been working on the railroad'? that's not good

Draft saved Draft deleted