1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UT football beat writer -- Knoxville News Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Jun 30, 2014.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

http://www.scripps.com/job-details?rid=8096

Multimedia Journalist-Sports

Responsibilities:

Maintain a close working relationship with potential news sources, real as well as general reporting. Engage readers through social medial by responding to reader comments and pursing other avenues of interaction with audiences
    Be on alert at all times for breaking news in order to generate story ideas and plan coverage effectively. Main focus will be covering University of Tennessee football.
    Write articles, take photographs or shoot video as necessary to tell the story
    Develop updates to live stories throughout the day, with several deadlines built into the workday
    Carry a camera equipped with still and video capabilities and be prepared to cover all aspects of a particular story
    Create photo galleries for prominent stories, encouraging print readers to see "the rest" of the action online
    Requirements:

Have the ability to post breaking news
    Must be able operate a camera equipped with still and video capabilities
    Must be able to create photo galleries and slide shows
    Must be able to write clearly and succinctly on a variety of topics, which may extend beyond the primary focus of the beat
    Basic knowledge of web publishing tools and/or the ability to learn new technology quickly
    Proficient used of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint)
    Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to meet deadline in a fast paced environment
    Excellent communication and presentation skills
    BS/BA in news/media discipline or equivalent experience
    3-5 years of experience in a related field

2. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

I planned to post the position, but it's my first day back in the office and didn't want to be flooded with emails on my phone at APSE conference.
    Evan Woodbery has left and will be joining NOLA to cover the Saints.
    Apply online if interested. I hope to have the job filled in July. This is a football beat job, no basketball coverage.
    No phone calls please.
    kaplanp@knoxnews.com

3. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

Hopefully I have notified all job applicants at some point in the search. If not, I apologize. If you apply online it does not go directly to me. Taking the extra step and sending an email is always a good idea. A hire has been made.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Once again, doing the right thing. Some would say going above and beyond. Others would expect it and bitch if you didn't. Everyone should be in agreement: This approach is greatly appreciated.

5. FusilliJerry

FusilliJerry Member

Hear, hear! Thanks, Phil.

6. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

Disappointing if you applied and didn't get it, but you definitely can't complain about not being updated at some point throughout the process. Definitely can appreciate that

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Exactly. That's why I've always praised Phil even when he told me a couple times I wasn't a fit for jobs. At least he takes time to let people know and come on here. One of these days, maybe. By the way, who did get this job?

8. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

Dustin Dopirak of the Bloomington Herald-Times was hired. He has covered Indiana basketball, football, baseball and other athletic news. He will be off and running Aug. 11.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

At the risk of post padding, What MileHigh Said in terms of following through.

Draft saved Draft deleted