1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UT beat writer -- Tennessean

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Sep 10, 2014.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Tennessean is seeking an aggressive reporter to cover the University of Tennessee's athletics program and produce compelling multimedia content about the teams and their franchises, players and performance, with a heavy emphasis on football and recruiting. This reporter will work to be the No. 1 most trusted expert when it comes to UT football news. Responsibilities include planning and executing daily multimedia stories/content about happenings, issues and trends regarding the University of Tennessee's athletics programs; producing high-impact, enterprise journalism about the UT football team and UT athletics; and engaging with readers through platforms such as social media, digital chats, events, and comments about UT athletics and football.

Knowledge and skills needed include exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing); self-motivation and self-direction; photo and video skills; advanced knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space; ability to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment; and effective time management skills. A Bachelor's degree in Communications or Journalism or the equivalent in experience and education is required.

https://career4.successfactors.com/career?career_ns=job_listing&company=Gannett&navBarLevel=JOB_SEARCH&rcm_site_locale=en_US&career_job_req_id=36726&selected_lang=en_US&jobAlertController_jobAlertId=&jobAlertController_jobAlertName=&_s.crb=QP%2bobyx6budVuzQav9p1QY1iB68%3d

2. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Did the Tennessean just launch a sports section or something?

3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Fake job postings as part of the re-application process?

4. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Someone said they didn't have a University of Tennessee beat writer previously, is that correct?

5. boundforboston

Correct, this is a new position

6. STLwriter

STLwriter Member

I assume this position is based out of Knoxville?

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It has been in the past. Given the state of the Tennessean these days they probably want someone to do the 3-hour commute (each way) daily and then come in and work a desk shift.

8. boundforboston

Done: https://twitter.com/mattslovin/status/515593541578661888

9. It's true. The entire process took me much longer than I anticipated. I started this search last spring. But, as many of you know, there were some changes in our structure along the way. One of my final acts as sports editor is hiring MATT SLOVIN as our UT beat writer. Matt is going to do a great job and I look forward to working with him. I apologize to those of you who applied and did not get a personal reply from me.

Draft saved Draft deleted