1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USWNT stars accuse U.S. Soccer of wage discrimination in EEOC filing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rainman, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

I'm betting Rainman thinks the women don't have a case. There is appoint of contention regarding TV rights, as they are bundled.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They play 90 minutes, they deserve the same amount. #tennislogic

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Can the women's national team continue bringing in more revenue than the men? Revenue is going to drop off after this year until the next World Cup.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'd find it VERY hard to believe that the women's team generates as much revenue (or income) as the men's team. The vast majority (as in 90 percent or more) of the revenue from teams like theirs comes from from TV rights, marketing rights and licensing, not from ticket sales.

I have no idea how those packages are negotiated (or if they are even negotiated separately), but if you put the two teams on their own, knowing the economics of men's vs. women's sports, I'd bet with 99.9 percent certainty that the rights and licensing fees the women command individually would not even come close to the same ballpark as what the men command -- and I am taking into account the value of a likely u.s appearance in the women's world cup final included in the rights bidding.

The women may or may not be getting a good pay package relative to what they generate. But that is what they collectively bargained for. If they think they are underpaid, they should negotiate their worth that way -- not this way. The men's team has nothing to do with it. And if they are going to play a lame "fairness" card, shouldn't we all see how much revenue and income each team REALLY generates before buying into it?

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

From the Wall Street Journal ...

U.S. Soccer estimates that the women’s national team will generate $17.6 million in event-based revenue between April 2016 and March 2017 based on a slate of up to 27 matches, according to the budget it proposed at February’s Annual General Meeting. (Those include a post-Olympics tour and an end-of-season tournament.) Over the same period, it expects the men’s team to bring in $9 million for up to 12 matches.

As for the sale of television rights, U.S. Soccer bundles its men’s and women’s games together, making it impossible to tell which games are most attractive to broadcasters. That said, the cost of a 30-second ad during Fox’s broadcast of the 2015 Women’s World Cup final was $210,760, compared with $465,140 for a 30-second spot on ABC in 2014 during the men’s final, which didn’t feature Americans. The women’s 2015 final drew 8 million more viewers.

U.S. Women’s Soccer Team Stars Allege Pay Discrimination

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I see a Lena Dunham-Abby Wambach campaign rally coming up.

9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Networks negotiate rights with USSF rather than directly with FIFA for World Cups? Maybe every federation gets to sub contract the rights in their country?

Forget the bundle, just find out what they charge an ad during mens World Cup vs an an during a womens game and that should answer it

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The balance sheet is pretty clear. Without the women, the US Soccer Federation would be hanging around Congress begging for a bailout. The women should've threatened not to take the field for the World Cup final, as the NBA All-Stars did the first year that was nationally televised in the 1960s. Fox would've gotten them their raise.
    I daresay that although the percentages would be very low in either case, if asked if they recognized names of individual men and women's US players, women would win the poll in a landslide. They have endorsements! Madison Ave. doesn't give those away.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What do the women get paid for pro soccer?

Dempsey makes 7 million.

USSF will argue that, in order to attract men's players in their jam-packed pro schedules, it had to pay more money to them.

basing this on a handful of matches over 4 weeks every 2 years is rather foolish.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

If the men's team played 27 matches in that time period like the women, they would crush that revenue total.

Draft saved Draft deleted