1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USOC's Bob Condron to Retire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

http://www.themat.com/section.php?section_id=3&page=showarticle&ArticleID=23985

If you've covered an Olympics over the last 28 years you know Bob. Just a great guy. He will be missed.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

He was the good cop to Mike Moran's bad cop, but Bob was a great guy to begin with.

He always was good and helpful to me, even when I wasn't working for The Nation's Nicepaper.

3. ringer

ringer Active Member

That's a clear loss for the USOC.

Bob might also be the last knowledgeable guy in the department.

(Have you read the communication chief's tweets? He misspells high-profile athletes' names and doesn't come off as particularly professional. Makes ya wonder.)

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

With all the cutbacks he IS the media services department right now. You can't understate what a massive loss this is for the USOC and, more importantly, the US media who cover the Olympics.

The cutback in Olympic coverage by US outlets has meant a cutback in the amount of media services staff the USOC commits to the Olys & Pan Ams. Bob has always been able to roll with those changes and still find a way for his staff to get information out and help tell stories. I don't see how they can find anyone to replace that kind of institutional memory.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good dude. Knew his job, knew ours. If he could do something to help, he did it. If he couldn't, he explained why. Never said "no" just because he could, at least not in my experience.

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Bob was one of the people who helped me tremendously earlier in my career. Wonderfully nice man, always ready to give you whatever info you needed. I hope he has a great retirement. The USOC will be poorer without him.

Draft saved Draft deleted