1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USOC PR staffer sent home from Brazil

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by write then drink, Jul 8, 2007.

1. USOC public relations guy Kevin Neuendorf, who I know several of us have dealt with, was sent home over the weekend from Brazil, where he was part of the US delegation at the Pan Am Games

apparently, he wrote "Welcome to the Congo" on a whiteboard in the USOC media center and many locals were offended

not sure what his job status is

http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-ioc8jul08,1,2253667.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-olympics

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Re: USOC PR guy Kevin Neuendorf fired in Brazil

we got fun and games...

3. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Story says he was sent home. Is that Hershese for fired, or does it mean he was sent home?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

I have a better question.

If you're the LA Times, you've lopped people, you've cut back coverages of local teams, you've shrunk your news hole.... why the fuck do you send somebody to Brazil for a useless event like the Pan Am Games?

5. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Just a guess, but I imagine soccer in LA has just a little more interest than NHL...

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Are we sure it was Neuendorf? Sounds like it was another staffer:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19651797

I'm changing the headline for the time being until there is more verification.

7. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Dateline on the story is Guatemala City, which is where the IOC meetings were at. Also, it's Philip Hersh, who is doing Olympics for the Tribune chain, including the LAT.

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I believe Hersh is scheduled to be in Rio as well.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, first, as noted, Hersh is covering for several papers.

Two, that aside, the Times has always considered itself an Olympics paper of record under Dwyre, and that was highly unlikely to change under Harvey, an "Olympics guy" himself.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

If I were from the Congo, I'd be offended that the Brazilians were so offended.

Which, come to think of it, will probably be the next news story to come out of this.

11. chazp

chazp Active Member

You beat me to it. Makes no sense at all. Who cares about the Pan Am games? Bet no one in LA gives a rip about them.

12. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Why would Congo or Brazil be offended? They both had movies named after them.

True story, I went to theater to see Congo whenever it was it came out--late 90s. The first 10-15 minutes wer so laughably bad, i skipped out to movie next screen over. It was Species, and when I saw Ben "Ghandi" Kingsley in the role of an imbecile scientest, I skipped back over to Congo. It had gotten worse. I left again. I gave Species one more chance, then saw Natasha Headstrong put her tongue through some guy's head and out the back side.

So I went home, just like the USOC guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted