1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Using your iPad to clear US Customs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jan 3, 2012.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This is pretty hilarious.

Guy uses his scanned passport on his iPad to clear US Customs at the Vermont border.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/with-no-passport-on-hand-canadian-flashes-ipad-scan-to-get-into-us/article2290029/

Well, so much for the billions spent on Home Security.

He should have just brought a photocopy. Or a hand drawn duplicate. Or maybe just told the officer, "Look, I forgot it. But I'll bring it next time, OK?" :)

And in all fairness, he's also used it to clear Canadian customs on the way back.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Figures ... this guy gets across with a scan of his passport. I get the guy who practically drew his gun because my cell phone was ringing while we were crossing. (It was ijag calling, by the way).

3. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Serves you right for giving IJAG your phone number. ;D ;D ;D

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The only time I ever had problems at the border is when we didn't think to put away the CDs my wife bought. They were sitting between us in the front of the car, still in their "Vintage Vinyl and Hemp Emporium" bag.

That got us a full hour in the border station while they searched our car.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

By reporting this story this guy has guaranteed that nobody will ever be able to do this again.

Customs agents on both side of the border have a lot of discretion in being able to allow or deny entry. The agent gave the guy a break and is probably copping some shit so there is even less motivation now to cut someone some slack.

FWIW a Canadian citizen can't be denied entry back into Canada if they can prove they are a citizen, passport or not.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

All a Canadian has to do is show a bottle of Labatt's or Molson and they're in.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If you know the distance between two Canadian cities in kilometers, you're Canadian.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Tip for you Americans when asked where Moose Jaw is...

It is in Saskatchewan, not 6 feet from the Moose's ass.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Assuming Moose's Ass is a nickname for Regina, then it's 20-30 kilometers, isn't it?

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Or not ...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/01/05/144734144/mans-ipad-passport-claim-is-categorically-false-customs-office-says?ft=1&f=1001&sc=tw&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Classic cover your ass.

On the other hand, if it is true, this guy's name will be in US Customs database until he dies. Every time he goes to the US he'll be held for questioning. Dumb move on the guy's part.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Also the hometown of this real spiffy young man.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted