1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Using "You" In Stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Oh, you.

2. DCaraviello

DCaraviello Member

"You" can most definitely come across as clunky. But there's a word I hate more -- "I." I hate, hate, hate column writers who lean on "I" like a cane. There are plenty of national guys who do this, over and over, and it burns me up. If you can't relay your personal reflections and experiences without the "I, I, I" approach too many columnists use, see a writing coach. It's lazy and arrogant. And don't get me started on seeing "I" as the FIRST word of a column.

So to get around this, there are times when I've replaced the "I" with "you," which (agreeing with editorhoo) can help bring the reader into the column. Now, you can't do this all time. The "You/I" substitution doesn't always work. You have to pick your spots, and have the chops to pull it off. But it can also give a column a nice depth and texture, and allow a writer to convey a first-person narrative without calling too much attention to himself. "Even in a pace car, the speed of Daytona pulls you back into your seat," is better than "Even in a pace car, the speed of Daytona pulls me back into my seat." Hey, the piece ain't about you, pal.

But that's the extent of it. In gamers and general features, you'd be better off writing around it.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Jay McInerney approves.

Draft saved Draft deleted