1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Using "You" In Stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Have avoided since high school English when our teacher NEVER let us use it in anything we wrote. Basically her reasoning was the same - it's lazy, not necessary, etc. I can see where it might work in some cases, but I always find other ways to say the same thing.

2. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

When done properly, it engages the reader, which is a good thing. When not done properly, it's lazy and cliched.

3. I Digress

I Digress Guest

And I'd say it is rarely ever done properly.

4. bob

bob Member

wholeheartedly agree. I know of one guy who used it in 99 percent of his ledes. He was recently taken off his pro beat and made a copy editor.

5. here's one i can't stand ... well as an interjection

i see this constantly ... what a lousy device

"And the only way for that to happen is, well, to actually give him more playing time."

bleh

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I suppose the alternative is to use "one," and I always found that to be a bit stuffy ...

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

"Have you ever seen a one-legged dog making its way down the street? ... If you've ever seen a one-legged dog than you've seen me."

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

There are two then/than mistakes on this thread. Some common grammatical mishaps I understand. Then/than is not one of them.

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

S.O.B. I'm one of them.

Dammit, Bruce.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think it can work.

Ex:

If you were one of the hundreds of fans who left Podunk HS gym with the Plodders down 10 with a minute to go last night, you missed a remarkable comeback.

Nah, just kidding. They still lost.

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Didn't mean to call you out, Bullwinkle. Just one of my pet peeves, and it jumped out at me that there were two such mistakes on the same one-page thread.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you know.

Draft saved Draft deleted