1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Using the Evo 4G voice recognition software to transcribe

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tucsondriver, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

I don't have this phone. At least not yet. I was at BestBuy today checking stuff out and one of the salespeople showed me how to send text messages using Droid's voice recognition software. Seemed to work reasonable well. I looked at a few forums and from what I understand voice recognition is built into the phone, meaning you can use it with the word processing program, which got me thinking it could be a useful tool for transcribing quotes off my tape recorder, or even live for quotes on deadline. How cool would that be! Voice recognition is never perfect, so I'm sure I'd have to clean some stuff up, but my scribble isn't perfect either, and let's face it, there is no perfect system for getting quotes on deadline. Anybody out there try this yet?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I use the voice recognition software when I'm driving and need to send a quick text. It's not good for long texting conversations (too many errors, and when you go to delete to fix, it erases the whole message) but it's serviceable for one text at a time.

Which is all to say, I wouldn't EVER use it for deadline quotes, or probably anything longer than a sentence.

Draft saved Draft deleted