1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Using Team Logos in a Magazine

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by StadiumJourney, Nov 1, 2011.

1. StadiumJourney

StadiumJourney New Member

I have had some different from various sources, and I am trying to avoid having to pony up for an attorney. My website is producing its first magazine. The theme for this edition is football stadiums of the SEC, and one piece that we're running breaks down the top rivalries of the SEC, and I am planning on using logos for the teams. Does this fall into nominative fair use, or because the magazine will be for sale, does it need to be licensed? I would appreciate any feedback or experiences with this...Thanks

2. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

or call the schools from which you're planning to use the logo. They might have the same answers that an attorney would give you.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Newspapers and magazines use those logos all the time. I can't imagine anyone would oppose it. Many SIDs will even provide you with high resolution logos.

4. VJ

VJ Member

There's no reason you wouldn't be able to use the logo, provided you're not misrepresenting it in any way. As long as it's only used editorially, you are fine.

5. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

If it's in an editorial context, you're fine. It's not like you're trying to sell logo'ed T-shirt or coffee mugs. There's a reason why schools provide photos and logos to legitimate media, and this is it. Really, don't give it a second thought.

6. StadiumJourney

StadiumJourney New Member

Thanks- This is reassuring. I'm reaching out to both Auburn and Alabama as well, but good to hear it from this community. I felt fine about it until I sought some free legal advice and they made it sound like I was going to get my pants sued off!

7. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Feel free to do whatever you need to do for personal comfort, but as far as contacting schools to ask permission to use their logos, all you're only going to do is create red tape and letters back and forth between school administrators and lawyers and them ultimately giving you permission in a certified letter freighted with legalese and unenforceable terms on size and positioning when it's all unnecessary in an editorial context.

My advice: Don't poke bears. Just run the logos. You'll be just fine.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Agree with the chorus. Seems like a perfectly justified example of fair use.

9. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Of course, the lawyers are saying you need their $200/hour legal advice to do something every other newspaper in the country does without worry.

Just run the logos, but don't sell T-shirts :)

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure this is so cut and dried as many are making it out to be. I think it depends where the logos are coming from. I would go this route and get them through the conference or the schools. The schools certainly won't mind you using the logos, but (not knowing the professionalism of your organization) downloading low-quality or old logos from the web is not a good idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted