1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Using social media to keep up with athletes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dark_Knight, Aug 9, 2012.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't directly report something from a Twitter post (unless it's a pro with thousands of followers) but use it as indirect reporting: Get the tip, follow up by checking with source in person. Or just pretend it isn't there at all and carry on.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I never understood why a person posts something and then acts surprised that someone read it or found it. Well, duh, why are you posting it?

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I didn't know about that Reds pr intern when I posted here. Yikes.

Stitch, you're just wrong on this one. No one is saying you have to take a 17-year-old's embarrassing missteps (or whatever) and plaster them all over Page One. All it takes is common sense.

If I'm your boss and Johnny Star Running Back goes on twitter saying, "Big news coming..." I expect you to 1) be aware of it and 2) find out what it is. Now, if you aren't following him and your competitor from Newspaper Across Town is, what are you going to say when the story is in their newspaper and not yours?

4. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I imagine the response would be something like this: "I'm not treating some 17-year-old the same as a MLB club PR rep."

I'm sure the editor would understand completely.

Sorry, but I absolutely HAVE to follow HS kids' Twitter feeds as part of my job. Not saying I like it, but it is necessary and useful.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's a different world covering areas where playing 11-man football means a school is big. If you don't already have a relationship with those coaches who are more than happy give you those scoops, that says a lot.

Most athletes in small-town America aren't using Facebook as part of their PR operation. They are using it to post stupid comments and pictures.

6. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Those datgum whippersnappers and their facing book! In my days they rode the finest pony a man ever done saw to relay correspondence between folk. Moving picture shows came along and ruined the country I tell ya.

7. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

No they aren't. But it is worth it to wade through the 99% of the posts that amount to where someone is eating dinner and what they plan to do that weekend for the occasional college commit. If you're 17 or 18, Twitter and Facebook are where you go first to communicate. I always found I had a lot more luck sending a DM when I needed to interview an athlete away from practice or a game than I did by calling.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

So what would you do with Montee Ball? Guy is involved in a fight, but is off-limits to media (practice hadn't started yet) and tweets his response to TMZ reports. You wouldn't quote that? You can't follow up because he's not available for any comment via the school yet.

9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Depends on the sport. Baseball and soccer, for example, a ton of recruiting seems to be done through AAU, clubs and national camps. I had a kid tweet his college commitment and he hadn't told his high school coach yet because most of his recruiting experience was through his AAU coach. I've seen AAU clubs Tweet college commitments themselves. If you're working in preps, those aren't thing you want to miss/get beat on.

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Lantaur, Ball has 32,000 followers -- he's making a public statement as much as he would be talking to a small newspaper. I saw his tweet quoted in a lot of post-fight coverage. He's certainly been told by Wisconsin that what he writes there can be used publicly. Certainly didn't mean there's a line for pros only -- people are making a separate case for prep athletes. Look at the following -- it's a no-brainer with Ball.

11. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

Exactly. I was wondering if Mr. Stitch was last on a high school beat in 1984.

12. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

Following prep/small college athletes on twitter has definite advantages.

Assuming it isn't a big-time football/basketball prospect that is on Rivals, most of these kids "announce" their college commitments on Twitter. In some cases, I've even had the kid DM with their announcement.

In general, its a lot easier to get in contact with a HS athlete with a mention and/or direct message than it is to call the coach and get the player's contact from them.

Even outside for recruiting, I've found it helpful for simple things like asking if a game is still on because of possible bad weather. IE: "hey @podunkSS @podunkRF @podunk1B is today's game vs Springfield still on?" Or if a player tweets "Big win today over Springfield #podunknation" and we haven't gotten the game, I might tweet back asking what the final score was.

These things aren't major, but are ways to get info if the Coach/AD isn't available or not answering his/her phone. Also it is another way to promote interaction with our readership, which is what everyone wants anyway.

In general though, with the exception of the sure-fire D1 prospects, I try to avoid following HS kids who don't already follow me.

Draft saved Draft deleted