1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Using Quotes from Other Media Sources

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kettner, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The guys on my beat are cool with lifting quotes, so long as it's the day after original quote-getter already ran with it, and as long as it's not something earth-shattering exclusive.

2. Always attribute the quote if you don't get it yourself, even if you suspect it was given to a pool of reporters. At the very least, you're protecting yourself if the person who says it challenges the quote.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm skittish about using any quote I didn't hear with my own ears. I know a lot of reporters who take pride in not using a tape recorder, and it shows when I read their quotes the next day. Hell, I barely trust the folks at my paper to feed my an accurate quote, and it's not a knock against them. Like Jason Robards (as Ben Bradlee) said in a certain movie you may have heard of, "I hate trusting anybody."

4. JFT

JFT Member

For some reason, a couple of writers in Atlanta still have had a problem with this. (Levine & Curtright).

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Let me guess: Their quotes read better? Fewer um, uhs, cuss words and run-on sentences?

Draft saved Draft deleted