1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Using pop culture in ledes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spud, Sep 24, 2007.

1. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

"LEAVE TODD ARCHER ALONE!! He's working as hard as he can! You try writing good ledes every day, bastards! LEAVE TODD ARCHER ALONE! Please!"

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Todd Archer wrote that lede like David Archer played quarterback.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Cowboys, dressed in their pearl white road unis, looked dashing as they silenced the crowd in a way that would make Marcel Marceau, who died Sunday, shout with glee....

Pop culture references work when there is a tie-in. I know I've written a few clunkers in my past, but if you tie something in that is relevent. Perhaps the Hispanic Heritage Month hoo-ha and say Tony Romo went all Tony Montana on los Osos de el Ciudad de Broad Shoulders, then maybe...

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The problem with leads like that from someone covering a beat like the Cowboys is one of two things:

1. Younger writers react by saying "Cool!! Now I'll try to get a cheesy pop culture reference in my stories, because Cowboys beat dude did it, so it must be acceptable!!!"

2. Or talented writers of all ages in situations less prestigious than covering the Dallas Cowboys for the Dallas Morning News lament their situation for the latest time, wondering why in the world they continue to try to hone their craft when the DMN is allowing their Cowboys beat guy to sneak past the desk a lead a high school kid would write.

Either way, it's too bad dude couldn't come up with a better idea during a game that became a blowout with plenty of time before the deadline.

5. Wait...how old is Todd Archer?

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Wow. Two award-show references in as many graphs I don't think Perez Hilton or other celebrity bloggers (BLOGS!) do that.

For the most part, I think columnists should be the only people who use pop culture references. Oh, yeah, and sportscenter hosts.

If a beat guy or regular reporter uses a pop culture reference, I think it should be something that is an old reference and has been in the sports lexicon for a while, though these are often cliche. In other words, use a classic pop culture reference. Go for The Natural, Caddyshack, Rocky, The Godfather, etc. Not the VMAs, Paris Hilton, High School Musical, or anything MTV / Tigerbeat / Myspace or something that makes junior high girls scream and cry.

7. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

that is woeful

but i actually saw a funny pop culture reference in a blog today

"Jose Reyes pops out more than Britney Spears' nipples."

guess you can't get that in the paper though

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm hoping not more than 19.

Question: how did this crap get by the editor?

And collegiately? Please.

This is the Dallas Morning News, right? Not the Dallas Sunday Shopper?

9. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

To me, when you use an analogy or metaphor, you have to ask yourself...is this timeless? Can this be used 10 years from now? Does it even make sense? I mean, was Rex Grossman stumbling around in black, sequined undergarments, drunk and potentially high? Despite what his performance suggests, I think the answer is unequivocally...no.

Pop culture ledes are about as bad as holiday ledes.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I predict in about eight weeks a lot of winning teams will have much to be thankful for. And in about 10 weeks Christmas will come early for a few teams that receive some good breaks.

Just a hunch.

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Don't forget the tricks and treats in a few weeks! Pray no one runs a trick play that night.

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Hopefully no one gets seven players back during the second or third week in December.

Draft saved Draft deleted