1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Using pop culture in ledes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spud, Sep 24, 2007.

1. spud

spud Member

Does this make anyone else frown?

When do you stop with the pop culture references? At what point have you gone too far? Because, if we're talking general audience spill-over, I don't think football fans and MTV fans are one in the same. I think it can be done, but it's so badly done so often that I think, in general, I stay away from them. That's not a terrible lede, but I think it can be done better. And without the Britney Spears reference.

What are your policies?

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

What paper published that? The writer should be taken out back immediately and an opening about 6 feet deep available for him. For the rest of us, there should be an opening at his old publication.

3. hankschu

hankschu Member

I think such references are as sharp as Tod Stiles' Corvette on "Route 66."

4. spud

spud Member

That would be the lead Cowboys beat writer for the DMN, Mr. Todd Archer.

5. Are you serious?

6. spud

spud Member

The nut graf isn't much better.

Thanks for the CMA awards drop in the second ppg of your main gamer on possibly the team's biggest win since Irvin was sniffing blow under the bleachers at Texas Stadium.

Kinda makes you wonder, huh?

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Actually, it makes me want to barf.

8. The whole story just fails to get to the damn point. He's too busy planting his lips on Romo's posterior.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/092407dnspocowlede.3491e6d.html

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News
    tarcher@dallasnews.com

CHICAGO – The Cowboys came to Chicago ready to prove they were among the NFC's elite. They left making the Bears look worse than Britney Spears at MTV's Video Music Awards.

Tony Romo, who made an appearance this off-season at the Country Music Awards courtesy of Carrie Underwood, was the star of the Cowboys' convincing 34-10 win against Chicago.

Playing roughly 90 minutes from his hometown in Burlington, Wisc., and three hours from Eastern Illinois, where he played collegiately, Romo completed 22 of 35 passes for 329 yards with two touchdowns and an interception, and he left Soldier Field high-fiving Cowboys fans as he made his way to the locker room.

"The journey we've been on has been pretty fun," Romo said moments before he was able to share time with his parents, who made the trip from Wisconsin. "I think it's going to be pretty exciting for the rest of the year."

The Cowboys are 3-0 for the first time since 1999, and the previous 13 times they won their first three games, they have made the playoffs. Nine times they reached a conference championship game; four times they made a Super Bowl; and three times they won a Vince Lombardi Trophy.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Where he played collegiately??

I know "collegiately" is a word, but come on.

11. I'm not one to lash out at others' writing, because I'm certainly not Faulkner. But that's cringe-worthy.

12. Me neither, LBS, and as a general rule we don't rip young writer's writing unless they submit it - but this is the freakin DMN ...

It's always nice to see someone try something different but it doesn't work and someone should have spoke up.

Draft saved Draft deleted