1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Using 'on'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bucknutty, Oct 12, 2008.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Separate the proper names; otherwise, "on" isn't needed. I know, nothing new here.

After 31 years in the business, I still have trouble with time, date, place, not so much that place shouldn't be last, but sometimes I think it's more helpful to give the reader the day first (am I off that day and can I attend, or whatever) and then the time.

So "Saturday at 2:30 p.m. at Yankee Stadium" makes a little bit more reader sense to me. I know plenty who vigorously disagree.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I've been led to believe that Assembly Hall Thursday is a basketball arena in Illinois.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'm sure in y'all's haste to bash AP photographers that you've all taken into account the fact that they write their cutlines that way because the purpose of AP cutlines is for them to be searchable and archivable for the hundreds of papers who are going to be using them that night and in the future. Right?

Their job is not to write cutlines to go straight from photo to the newspaper. Their job is to write cutlines that make their photos easy to find on AP Exchange or your wire-service program. YOUR job is to easily find their photo based on all the information provided in their cutline, then write an insightful and accurate cutline for your newspaper.

4. Actually never heard that one. Learn something everyday.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Vigorously. :)

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

You'll be drawn and quartered at my paper if you write it that way. It's ALWAYS 2:30 p.m. Saturday at Yankee Stadium.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

And I pretty much said that, although not as vigorously and hit-us-over-the-head-with-it as you did. On this, you and I agree. I should have made that part of my post more clear.

Regrets.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Bygones.

(Damn, I feel a "Ask Drunk Shot" thread comin' on.)

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Young'uns. Sheesh. (shakin' head)

;)

10. I've tried explaining this argument in this function:
    When can you actually put something "on" a date?
    I'm like the others, though. I will totally rewrite it, just to avoid it because I can't stand it, either.

11. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

It's a flaccid argument.

Do you have a dictionary? The one I have at home lists 25 prepositional senses for the word, including "occurrence at a given time."

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Oh, come on ...

Draft saved Draft deleted