1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

using name of plays in stories..

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YoungGun7, Sep 15, 2007.

1. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

How many teams was that? It sounds very cool.

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Oh...I love that trick play when you smash the glass unicorn! Gets them every time. You could do that or just yell "STELLA!" when you get the ball and go from there.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

There's nothing unethical about it. It's not your job to keep other teams from learning names of plays.

However, I agree that there's really no need to use that kind of detailed jargon unless there's a very compelling reason.

In 1996, for example, Texas essentially beat Nebraska in the Big 12 title game on a 4th-and-one pass play named "Steeler Roll Left." That play call has more or less become a part of school lore, because some reporter(s) thought to name the play in copy.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I think to use the play name adds color to the story, but you need to explain what it is.

"The play was called P-44 Haynes, a term that will likely forever be burned into the lexicon of Georgia football fans. It involved Georgia fullback Verron Haynes taking a fake from quarterback David Green, diving into the line, then sneaking to the end zone where he was wide open to take the game-winning pass from Green, who led the Bulldogs to the game-winning store in the final minute at Neyland Stadium ..."

Something like that.

5. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I say use the name when it makes the difference in a game or it makes people go "that was odd, I wonder what that is called?"

An example from game stories I read today was in the Mizzou vs W. Michigan game:

OR
    I didn't see the game or highlights of it, but i bet the majority of fans who did had never seen a formation with O-linemen spread out that much. They probably though "that was an odd play, I wonder what it's called."

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

We had a coach (he's in his 40+th year) who was famous for running "hook-pass special," which is an almost lateral pass to the tight end who pitches it to the wingback going around the end, usually up the sidelines for a touchdown.

Other coaches would be yelling it to their kids on the last play of the half, but at least 50 percent of the time, it worked.

My other favorite was the coach who would yell, "Draw! Screen! Reverse!" at his defense every time it was third-and-six or longer.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

45. The last one finally came in on the day we were sending pages.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Those who cover MMA/UFC and XGames already make it a habit to use the unique terminology from those sports in their gamers. For someone who is not a follower of any of those competitions, I find those terms leave me unimpressed, though the fans of such things likely know exactly what is being said.

But we're not writing for the niche markets. It would be a better idea to paraphrase if the play were absolutely essential (though it often comes across as showing off), but if you must use it in a quote, provide a short explanation either before or after the quote.

9. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

After reading some other posters here, I'm reminded of the great detail that went into some of the best stories I've ever read (the horse race story comes to mind, don't recall details). I guess I'll rescind part of my prior statement and say that if you can pull it off, there's no reason that the name of a single play can't be right there in the lede. But you'll need to explain it and build off it. It has to have some relevance to the angle of the story. So, if it's just a quote, I wouldn't go there. But, if you have the notion to do something with the whole play itself, I don't see a problem with it. Just don't leave, "We ran skinny post left trips" out by itself, because the reader will sink like a rock.

10. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Finally someone in this business that doesn't over-analysis the shit out of everything.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

I agree, but make sure you spell quarterback's name right.

12. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Sounds like a wacked-out version of the Lonesome Polecat...

It may be worth asking if a trick play becomes a big play. My junior year in high school, our first league game was at Stroudsburg HS. Our first play was simply called Stroudsburg Special, with a single back, two receivers and a TE. We motioned the QB out to the slot (I presume it's legal; I know there are rules for a T-formation QB, but no flag) and direct-snapped to the RB, who then threw an interception.

Hey, it looked good on paper.

At any rate, chances are the trick plays won't come out of the bag more than a few times a season, so they may have an unusual name. Never hurts to ask.

Draft saved Draft deleted