1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Using MySpace to contact players?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Eagleboy, May 26, 2007.

1. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Thats right Mert, I love you! How about a big hug?

2. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Oh, I get it. This is humor, yes?

3. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

I have also used both, but the Myspace was simply a "Hey this is reporter from LocalYocal News and I am interested on doing a story on you ... Can I have your contact information so we can met and do an interview."

Like mentioned before, I am young enough where me having a myspace isn't scary. I have also got several story ideas from athletes myspace pages, and have told them such. If the profile is viewable by all, they have to expect others will see it.

As for the text messages, I have used then to remind high school athletes to not forget about an upcoming interview that day or a photo opp that I have scheduled. I don't want to call when they are in the middle of class, so the text messages work well. I of course have already done the interview with the kid and talked to him several times before.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

IdiotsNetwork = biggest tard on the board.

5. That's quite a statement to make. I'd like to see your Top 5.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's late and I'm tired, so not now. But man, the guy can barely string together a coherent thought yet he comes on here and has the balls to passive-aggressively attack our field. It's almost admirable.

Now I will pause for several hours as Idiots looks up the meaning of the word admirable.

7. Admirable: That's the guy who commands fleets of ships, right?

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I've used MySpace and Facebook to research potential employees. I know that's not a source for a story, but it's another method.

9. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

I've found it to be a valuable resource to reach some athletes around the state. Anything to help me do my job better....I'll use it.

10. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

As a writer who has to cover high school recruiting, MySpace is an absolute must. If I need to get ahold of a kid who lives 10 states away and has his phone turned off, I send a quick, simple MySpace message along the lines of, "Hey, this is (name here), I've been trying to reach you by phone for a story and was hoping to get in touch with you soon. If you could call me at this number, I promise I'll only take a few minutes of your time. Thanks a bunch!" or some jazz like that.

I haven't been unsuccessful with this approach yet. If you pass yourself off as who you really are, I don't see any ethical problems with this.

11. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I heard a co-worker once say to a interviewee: "I know you may not want to comment on the record, but (asked question) ... "

That is good stuff.

12. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

I took a similar approach...not through myspace though...a few weeks ago when I was trying to get in touch with a local kid who's playing in college now. This is my first school term at this stop so she was gone by tthe time I got here. i didn't know her parents' names so i checked her school's website and found a public e-mail address.

Took a shot in the dark and it worked. if it didn't, myspace probably would have been my next stop. Although I can't do that in the office b/c myspace would probably make the shitty power pc on my desk explode.

Draft saved Draft deleted