1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

using my song for a political campaign

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, Jackson Brown got his panties in a bunch too...

Beating up women must be a lot more forgivable than playing one of his shitty songs at a rally.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

It would be funny, if it wasn't sad, that someone who used to work for newspapers is making the argument that a person being pissed that someone didn't get permission to use their work is a bad thing.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I am waiting for a Republican candidate to use "Wake Up," just to see what happens, especially if it's a candidate with a strong anti-immigration stance. I could see another "Born in the USA" gaffe on the horizon.
    (BTW, Arcade Fire played at several '08 Obama GOTV events and the Staff Ball the night after his inauguration.)

4. ^^This. If they aren't offering to pay for it already, they will likely scoff at you when you ask. They can just as easily move on to another catchy tune.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Teddy Pendergrass is down!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Mizzougrad96

I'd love to be in the room when a republican candidate tries to pick a campaign song.

Dammit, there's nothing here but Trace Adkins and Toby Keith songs.

What about Kid Rock or Ted Nugent?

We could go with KISS or Zeppelin, everybody knows there's nothing Gene Simmons or Jimmy Page wouldn't do for a buck.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

There's always the Ramones songbook. Tommy (?) was an active Republican, and Joey was a stock market junkie.

8. Mizzougrad96

I knew there was a reason I love that band.

"OK, we're opening the biddding on 'I Wanna Be Sedated'..."

"Anyone... Mr. Gingrich?"

"How about 'The KKK took my baby away..." Herman Cain? Anyone...

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Mitt Romney could gain cred with Beat on the Brat

10. Mizzougrad96

OK, that made me laugh... Palin could use Pet Sematary.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

for this i'd give permission

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

by the way, i'm assuming the reason permission was sought was because this particular song (which has kind of a charlie daniels or hank jr. style to it) hasn't been released yet and they'd need a copy of it. and it's not like they're asking to use it as the campaign theme song; more likely they'd play it at a local rally-type event where i'm sure they'd be using a bunch of songs. but you never know who might hear something and like it.

Draft saved Draft deleted