1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

using my song for a political campaign

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, Jun 27, 2011.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Depends who's doing the asking and for what.

Anyone who knows me knows of my political bent, but I tend to focus on one particular issue that I feel very strongly about moreso than a specific party. That said, most people in the opposing major party would not be given permission to use a song I'd record.

An IJAG Republican probably would be given permission to use the song if one were to become the Republican nominee for President or governor.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

"Tom Petty, this is Matt Taibbi from Rolling Stone. As an unbiased journalist I was calling to find out why you're letting that devil-incarnate from Minnesota use American Girl for her campaign."

"You had no idea? You're just happy someone is still listening to a song that came out 40 years ago?"

"Tom, as an unbiased journalist I feel it is my duty to tell you how evil this woman is."

"Yeah, I heard she's housed 23 foster children. But she's evil, as an unbiased journalist, I feel it is my duty to tell you that."

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Mizzou, I doubt Rolling Stone positions itself as down the middle.

4. Mizzougrad96

Oh, I know... and I was being funny/sarcastic, but I do wonder if these singers actually care about their songs being used until the media runs to them and asks them if they're offended by it.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I need to start my own party!

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

IJAG Party platform plank: Decriminalize texting while driving.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Leader in Club House of political song stories is when they mistakenly cued up "Captain Jack" instead of "NY State of Mind" when Bill and Hillary walked on stage to announce her candidacy for Senate.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yes, it would be much better to just let people take someone else's property and use it without permission.

And would the Punto or Jacoby be the first Ijagican candidate?

9. imjustagirl

I would never share them with the masses. They are mine.

10. Mizzougrad96

I don't remember what the song was, but there was a song a few campaigns ago (actually maybe McCain...) that the singer freaked out that was being used. The problem was the singer didn't write the song, and the person who wrote it gave permission...

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

There's the famous case of Reagan using Born In The U.S.A. without permission and without context.

12. imjustagirl

I know Heart was pissed that Palin used "Barracuda."

Draft saved Draft deleted