1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Using Facebook/My Space pages to attract young readers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillySixty, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

At this point, would it really hurt for each paper's Web/IT guy to put a little more work in to execute some of these ideas? They're not half bad as ideas for how to reach younger readers. At least it would be an attempt at staying relevant.

Of course, that's assuming the paper has content worth a shit. I left the business because my former paper is shit. I stopped taking it because I know how shit it is, but people don't have to work there to know it. I was the only person taking it on my block before I moved.

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

It looks like the Sun-Times News Group is attempting to get the facebook audience with the "Your Season" application. I saw on my newsfeed that two of my friends have the app.

Here is the description from the application page:
    This seems like a good idea. Kids don't have to actively search for news, but if there is a story about their HS, they will (i think) see it on some kind of newsfeed. I might sign up for it to keep up with my HS. I check my old school's Web site once every few months. The girls bball team is usually pretty good and this would be a good way to learn about the team without having to search for the news.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I agree with you, Jeremy.

It seems like something easy that wouldn't require the user to do much work. I'd like to see more papers try that, especially with the newsfeed.

Draft saved Draft deleted