1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Using a message board in a story.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hockeybeat, Feb 19, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why do I care what fans think of coach Jones in-game adjustments? Why are they experts? Why do you need their specific -- and probably uninformed fanboi --gripes in the story?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Because coach Reggie needs to play the Hansen brothers, dammit.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, you know that many decisions about whom to hire and fire are influenced at least somewhat by fan reaction. So of course the fans aren't going to be experts about in-game adjustments. But the dissatifaction with the team or the program reflected therein can be of import.

4. Agreed. But all I'm saying is tread lightly when using message board fanatasicm to represent some fan uprising. It's not always the case.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Exactly, wannabe.
    And the example HB used was unhappiness with Coach Looser's in-game decisions. Like the idiot fanbois on message boards could coach better.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wouldn't refer specifically to any message board unless I had some solid info about the type of people who post there (e.g., is it the rich alumni board?)

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Basically, I've been reading another board where the fanbase has been bitching and moaning about Coach Jones, his supposed lack of in game adjustments and their frustration with team's general shittiness.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

And to think that hockeybeat was writing the first "How I grew to love SportsJournalists.com" essay.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

How is it notable or remarkable that fans on a message board are bitching about the coach and/or the team?

10. Bingo. Not a true indicator of the public pulse but rather the over-the-top ramblings/musings of 500, 800 or 1,500 need-a-date losers who pay $6.99 a month so they can spend way too much time on a computer (often at work) while their dog (usually named after the home team) sits by with his leash in his mouth about to wet on the rug.

11. FYI -- I usually write shorter sentences with less venom and disdain than above.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

If you're writing a story about the message board? OK. If you're writing a story about the impact that such message boards have on the sports world these days? OK. If you're writing a feature on a coach/athlete and the impact that message board has had on his/her career? OK.

If you're writing a story abut why a team sucks and using the fanboi message board in a one-line validation of that position, you can do better.

Draft saved Draft deleted