1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USGA needs an editor: six-figure big boy job!

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 30, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I live in Mid-South and earn quite a bit less than 100K a year and 3-bedroom house is worth about $160,000 even in this market.

I did some quick checking for the area around Far Hills and to get a house roughly equivalent and still within a 30-minute drive would run 350K to 400K.

Just how much MORE than $100K does this job pay? If we're talking $102-105,000, that's a problemo. $150,000? That's more like it.

Any thoughts out there on cost of living/housing around Far Hills? Where is there a reasonable cost of living and still within 30 miles?

3. beanpole

beanpole Member

I wouldn't worry about shopping for a house until you get an interview.

4. clutchcargo

Beanpole---it's nice to know these things just in case---just 15-20 minutes of a quick look to get a good idea. Because if and when you do get an interview for any sort of good job involving a big move, it's possible you start losing your objectivity.

I want to know what's up before I get emotionally involved in something like this.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If you want to live within 15 minutes of Far Hills, what's priced for less than $500,000 is a dump.

You can go 30 minutes away and find something for $300,000; go look at it and tell me with a straight face that you think that's a fair price.

Yes, you can live in Pennsylvania. That's a drive (one way) of 45 minutes on a good day, an hour and 15 minutes on a so-so day and two hours when there's an accident or a good snowfall. That drive will make you nuts. No, you can't take a train or bus.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

You don't have to buy a house. I'm floored by how much discussion goes into a job situation based on what a house in the area goes for. If you find a solid job, the housing (whether it's a rental, condo, single-family place, whatever) will work itself out. Since most people move often, housing has become an anvil of sorts for some people.

7. clutchcargo

Why is Far Hills so expensive?? I've been there several times to visit Golf House for various reasons and driven around the area. It's nice in spots, but why such a rich place? I mean, it ain't exactly Park Place or Boardwalk.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Did anyone else notice this change in the ad? It no longer says "More than $100,000."

9. clutchcargo

Good catch, Johnny. Sounds like my 3-bedroom house is being downgraded to a loft apartment.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Does anybody have any idea if this was ever filled/resolved.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

The Birdscribe Pipeline (not to be confused with the vaunted Moddy Pipeline/patent pending) reports that Scott Smith, who was with Golf Digest, is now the new Director of Communications, Editor of the USGA.

12. El Mas Chingon

El Mas Chingon New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted