1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Jan 12, 2007.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

I saw the Chicago Blitz play the Birmingham Stallions at Soldier Field in 1983 or 1984. I saw Orlando's debut in the XFL on the league's opening night in 2001. Neither game was memorable, except one of the XFL guys suffered a serious injury on the "kickoff," which had one player from each team sprinting to the ball at midfield to decide the opening possession, shortly after Vince McMahon came on the big screen to yell some lameass thing to get it all started. I vaguely remember Cliff Stoudt as the Birmingham QB; I think Vince Evans may have been the Blitz QB. Him or Greg Landry.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I just remember the Blitz and the Arizona franchise trading entire teams.

What a league.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

There's a few NFL teams who might want to consider that option.

4. Claws for Concern

Detroit and Arizona. Would they be any better if they did a complete switch?

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I also remember the WFL being pretty interesting when I was a kid.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Millen would draft WRs to replace those bums Arizona has now.

7. Claws for Concern

And those ex-Lions could have Thanksgiving dinner with their families since Arizona will never be featured on a Thursday Night holiday game

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Well, thank goodness the USFL didn't survive and New Orleans kept its team. This could have been rather uncomfortable:

[​IMG]

9. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

here's a good historical site. The USFL had very good talent, both players and coaches, was a lot of fun to watch.

http://www.thisistheusfl.com/index.htm

plus a good ESPN package on the league ...

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:0PPghytnRUEJ:espn.go.com/nfl/columns/usflmain/1517981.html+USFL+in+the+NFL&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=9

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, the Breakers left New Orleans and played their final season in Portland.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Right, which is why I said thank god the USFL didn't survive AND New Orleans kept its team.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Great links. Thanks for the stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted