1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USFL Returning In 2010

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I remember the USFL being called The Un-Satisfactory Football League and U Stupid Fucking Losers.
    In all seriousness, though, I had a great time at a Boston Breakers game when I was in high school and one of the local high school coaches whom I know played for the Breakers in New Orleans and Portland.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cool! A new team for Birmingham! [/dixiehack]

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Of all the ill-conceived attempts at a rival pro league that have been created since the AFL-NFL merger the USFL was the only one that came close to working. If they hadn't gotten greedy they might have made it.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Those three bucks from the anti-trust settlement must have really grown.... tho why anyone would want to do this in this economy is beyond me...

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Wlat may get a job afterall.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

If they can just keep Donald Trump away from it, the league might have a fighting chance.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yay! More Grade-Z football shows will have stock footage to mine!

8. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

If this happens, they'll be able to find players. They'll be able to find a few sucker cities for teams. They'll even be able to find a few fans. But they won't be able to find any TV money. I can't imagine even Versus, owned by Comcast, would pay a rights fee.
    That means one thing: dead on, or shortly after, arrival.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Depends. There are some people seriously jonesing for for some football when March-April-May rolls around it's one of the reasons college spring games are so heavily attended and the NFL is considering spring games.

10. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Way to put that $3.76 to good use.

11. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Memphis too ... Go Showboats! Grizzlies ! Mad Dogs! Maniax! Hound Dogs! (Oh wait .. that team never came.)

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

The economy wasn't so great in 1983, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted