1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USFL Returning In 2010

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Oct 29, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I just applied to be a coach. Hey... with the industry like it is, I gotta have options.

2. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Yes! -- to reviving the Houston Gamblers!

Yes! -- to reviving the San Antonio Gunslingers!

Not sure Pittsburgh wants their team back though (Didn't they move to Oakland after one year??).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I guess we can write in Birmingham

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"For the Love of the Game" = "Oh, there'll be no money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Maybe not but Pittsburgh "Maulers" was the greatest pro football nickname ever. And the helmet was awesome too.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Pittsburgh Maulers folded after one year. Maybe you are thinking of the Michigan Panthers, whose team was combined with the Invaders to form the team that played in Oakland the final year of the league. Or maybe it was the last two.

Too bad we never got to see the run-and-shoot with Jim Kelly at quarterback and Herschel Walker at running back. The Gamblers and Generals were supposed to merge the year the league folded. That offense would have been fun to watch.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Now Herschel Walker's personalities have something else to argue over.

8. Armchair_QB

Somewhere in the deepest, darkest recesses of my parents' basement are several boxes of my stuff from my younger days. One box holds, among other things, a copy of The Sporting News USFL Preview Magazine for the league's first year. I need to dig that out next time I'm home.

Still remember the cover- George Allen holding a Chicago Blitz helmet.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Among my oddest internet purchases ever, were genuine USFL hats of the Gunslingers, the Birmingham Stallions and the Boston Breakers.
    I also have hast from the Berlin Thunder hat, Chicago Blitz, NYNJ Hitmen, a Toronto Argonaut hat and a New Orleans Voodoo hat. Hell of a lid. RIP.
    Screw a new football league, why not just "create" a league through Madden football, and air "games" week by week. Fans in specific areas would choose which players they drafted, and win money depending on how well their "team" did.

10. Armchair_QB

How about a CFL Game of the Week on ESPN?

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

OK, we can all laugh at the USFL if we want, but there is no question that there were a number of players who had good pro careers who probably never would have gotten a look in the NFL if they hadn't proven themselves first in the USFL. Two that come immediately to mind were Sam Mills and Bobby Hebert.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

ESPN.com did a great series on the old USFL's anniversary of its demise a few years back. My favorite story was of the USFL official who has the $3.86 check uncashed in one of his desk drawers.

Draft saved Draft deleted