1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Used to be a Mencia fan, turns out I like other comics

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lamar Mundane, Feb 14, 2007.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Because most sports writers are stand-up comedians sans the courage to get on stage.

2. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

From Wikipedia:

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The first thought I have when I read that is, who is Susannah Bianchi, and shouldn't she have a little more of a track record before she dumps on Denis Leary?

4. BitterYoungMatador2

Dude, you can put anything on wikipedia. There's a wikipedia entry for Hartford radio station WLAT. You can imagine what a couple of my friends did with it when they found it. Of course, it was deleted the next day.

5. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Did Leary steal Lock N Load too? How about the song Asshole?

Bill Hicks was brilliant too. Maybe Leary did take some smoking, jogging jokes but Leary is the 'persona' he portrays. That's not an act.

Dice Clay ripped off nursery rhymes but he made them his own. Leary took the psychotic, smoker role to another level 'specially on Lock N Load.

6. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I know you can put anything on Wikipedia, but it is pretty known that Leary blantantly stole material from Hicks. Putting all the other information from the site aside, it is written in American Scream that Hicks thought Leary stole from him. Leary stealing from Hicks is no different than Carlos ripping jokes from other comics.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

If every comedian stole what comedians claimed they stole, no one would have a job. If comedians aren't bitching about this, they're complaining that someone less funny is doing better than them. Shit, Kinison and Dice Clay had a fued for years over the same stuff. And I dont think that they ever reconciled before Kinison's death.

8. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Every comedian in some way has stolen from Pryor. If you haven't chances are you suck.

Stealing comedic style is like stealing music inspiration from the Stones, Beatles, Hendrix, Clapton, etc. If you steal entire jokes (ala Ned) that's one thing but I'd like to see Leary's classic bits compared to Hicks'. I don't deny there probably are many similarities - smoking, angry, ranting - but you don't just steal 'I know Fuck is a bad word but you're fucking making me say it' and get away with it.

I can think of brilliant rants from Murphy, Rock and Leary that are updates of Cosby's 'the same thing happens every night' bit. Doesn't mean they stole anything. They might have been inspired by Cosby, hell even STOLE the idea, but when you write your own material based on your life you've created something entirely new.

I'm much more offended by some no-talent like Dat phan winning Last Comic Standing or someone like Mitch Hedberg dying before he could reach the pinnacle of fame. To STEAL from Leary "Mitch Hedberg dies and we can't get Jeff Dunham on heroin."

Thank you, goodnight.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

Leary's rant about the kid working behind the counter at the 7-Goddam-11 is also priceless stuff.

10. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Yeah, but he probably stole it from HIcks.... oh wait... wasn't Hicks dead before generation piercing, droopy pants?

Please, please do not take my defense of Leary as an attack on Hicks. Hicks, as I've said before, was brilliant. Nothing but respect for him. I just didn't hear him until he had passed.

I look at some common jokes, stage presence like Jump Around - remember House of Pain and Kriss Kross came out nearly at the same time. Coincidence. Sometimes people see the world the same way at the same time - like the Mexican wall joke. But, there has to be a pattern, see Mencia, for me to accept 'stealing.'

Soooo, I always know where my balls and my keys are.

11. SixToedMonroe

SixToedMonroe Member

I honestly hope Lisa Lampenelli loses her voice for good. Maybe in some kind of freakish hoagie-eating incident that causes her extreme pain when she tries to talk.

I've honestly only seen four female comedians EVER that I thought were genuinely funny - Roseanne Barr, Brett Butler, Maria Bamford and Kathy Griffin.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

PULLUPYOURPANTS!

Draft saved Draft deleted