1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Used to be a Mencia fan, turns out I like other comics

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lamar Mundane, Feb 14, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That's interesting about Rollins, BYM ... I had thought that he was trying to break into comedy after his rock career. And I must say, the time or two I saw him doing something that seemed like stand-up, I thought he was hilarious.

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Ok, Jay Leno ain't got nothin' on Dave Chappelle.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

As a musician and song writer, Rollins is funny. But I wouldnt put him in with even average stand up comedians. Maybe if he devoted the time and energy to really perfecting it he could pull it off. That said, he's funnier than Carlin is now.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Hey, 'Family Man' was a classic.

5. SixToedMonroe

SixToedMonroe Member

Mencia was exposed as a hack and it is definitely nice to see someone stand up about it. Dennis Leary was the Carlos Mencia of his day - stole everything from Bill Hicks.

I am a big fan of Mitch Hedberg, but really, his act is just an extension of Steven Wright. The thing that keeps me a fan of Hedberg is he didn't steal jokes, just took the deadpan delivery of Newhart and Wright.

I don't think George Carlin and Sam Kinison are all that funny - fdor the same reason I don't think Mencia is all that funny. Why are they screaming? Because when they scream, people laugh nervously or think what they said was somehow funnier. D.L. Hackly is the same way.

Of the current young crop of comedians - Daniel Tosh is hilarious and Dave Chapelle is fantastic. Eddie Murphy is my favorite stand-up of all time. I like Richard Pryor as well.

Is it just me or do sportswriters share a common love for stand-up comedy? All the reporters I work with love to talk about it nearly every day. Trading lines and bits as if we were trading ledes.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Rogan can be incredibly annoying, but this was great.

7. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

No love for Lisa Lampenelli???????!!!!!
    Also, anyone seen Demetri Martin on Comedy Central? That dude is talented!

8. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Hard for me to believe that anyone had Coffee Flavored Coffee, waving the gun around pretty much does the same things, my own people's court at 2 a.m., Giving the finger to Darth Vader.

Not saying being an angry-on-edge comedian was groundbreaking but Leary is brilliant.

9. tommyp

tommyp Member

To extend this story a bit further, it seems Joe is not only not invited back to the Comedy Store, but lost his agent in the process...

http://www.joerogan.net/main.php

10. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

Louis CK is one of the best out there today. I thought Earthquake (or whatever his name is) surprised me with his hbo special. Bill Burr is great, too.

I've noticed a lot of comics come out of Boston, I wonder why that is.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There is no bigger Bill Hicks fan than me, but I don't think Denis Leary stole Hicks' act.

They have a similar bit about talking through holes in their necks and some of the smoking rants are similar, but that's it...

12. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

I just saw some of Bill hicks' stuff for the first time in my life and was amazed at how good he was.

Draft saved Draft deleted