1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Used car question...1984 Buck Regal with about 90,000 miles

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jun 17, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I drive your poor cousin--a '94 Camry, six cylinder with almost 300,000 kilometres on it.

Change oil, check brakes, rotate tires. That's about it.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

So much for being the Energy Czar, with that Buick and that Chrysler. Does the Cordoba have rich, Corinthian leather?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

JR this guy approves of your taste in cars.

Edit - UGH, beaten on a chessy 80's reference.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Did a Kelly Blue Book retail quote for a 1988 Regal (the search parameters wouldn't go back further than that!) with 90K miles, and the retail price for that came back at $1,425. So, figure $1,000 is about right.

But, beware--any US made car I've owned starting crumbling around the 80K mile mark. Foreign cars I could takewell into 6 figures, but my American cars getting up in mileage generally led to me getting to know the repair shop as a 2nd home and paying the tuition for my mechanic's kids' education.

Could be a potential moving money pit.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Say it ain't so - jr jr the energy czar. This car will make my Hummer seem enviromently friendly in comparison.

This has to be a joke right>

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I like Buicks.

I owned a 1985 Buick Park Avenue for four years, took it from 180,000 miles to 225,000 before selling it for $50. I bought it for $100. My aunt recently gave me a 1997 Buick LeSabre with 60,000 miles and I have had no problems with it. Hell, I just drove it across the country, fully loaded with all of my crap. And it gets decent gas mileage. I average right around 20, though I do a lot of freeway driving.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Good for you, 'gola. I wish I had your luck. My experiences have pretty much guaranteed that any future car purchases I make will be of the foreign variety, though.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Oh, I agree on the foreign cars, but not everyone can afford them and I think Buick's are made pretty good. Or I've just been lucky. I had a Chevy Lumina that did very well for about 100,000 miles as well.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

My first question is: Who the hell would buy a car for $50?

Then I wondered the same thing about a $100 car. It sounds like you got lucky, but a $100 car? No matter what you're putting far more into it than you paid for it.

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Although the car is 24 years old, I'd get the VIN and run a carfax report immediately on the vehicle. I've been searching for used cars for the past month now and even the most reliable, best-looking cars that are priced very cheap always are hiding something that was later revealed to me via the carfax report.

I find myself concerned only because the car is 24 years old and has only 90,000 miles. For example: I was looking at a 1999 Nissan Altima that had only 46,000 and was in absolute mint condition yet the guy was selling it for $6,995 (I think) and was more than willing to knock $1000 off the price if we were interested in purchasing it immediately. Carfax, however, showed that the odometer had been turned back and the title was salvaged.

Beware!

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

$1,000 Car, by The Bottle Rockets

Thousand dollar car it ain't worth nothin'
    Thousand dollar car it ain't worth shit.
    Might as well take your $1000,
    and set fire to it.
    $1000 car ain't worth a dime,
    You lose your $1000 every time.
    Oh why did I ever buy,
    a $1000 car.
    $1000 car is gonna let you down,
    More than it's ever gonna get you around.
    Replace your gaskets and paint over your rust,
    You'll still end up with something that you'll never trust.
    $1000 car's life was through,
    'bought 50,000 miles 'fore it got to you.
    Oh why did I ever buy,
    a $1000 car.
    A $1000 car ain't even gonna roll,
    til you throw at least another thousand in the hole.
    Sink your money in it, and there you are
    the owner of a 2,000 dollar 1,000 dollar car.
    If you've only got a $1000.
    You ought to just buy a good guitar.
    Learn how to play it it'll take you farther,
    than any old $1000 car.
    If a $1000 car was truly worth a damn,
    then why would anybody ever spend ten grand.
    Oh why did I ever buy,
    a thousand dollar car.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Does it come with fine Corynthian leather?

Draft saved Draft deleted