1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Use the phone for God's sake!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Elliotte Friedman, Dec 16, 2008.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Generally, we're overly reliant on quotes relative to key information, anyway, (although much of that has to do with reporters feeling an obligation to demonstrate that they're doing the necessary legwork). And the quote ripped from a press release should always be labeled as such so that the reader understands the sourcing.

2. You guys are thinking way too much about quotes and not nearly enough about information.

If I were ever a sports editor, which I will never be, one of my first moves with my writers would be to scale back the use of quotes, by as much as half.

Texting is a terrific, convenient way to get information confirmed - recruiting commitments and/or visits, transfers, free agency.

I understand where Elliotte is coming from. On the other hand, it's not really up to us. This is just one of the hazards of covering people from a different generation - or in the case of GMs and agents, a different pace to their life. The Sporting News had a story this issue about how big texting and email has become in baseball front offices, and how you're liable to get left behind if you don't use it.

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

However, sometimes, there is no other way to get the information you need without e-mail. (Case in point, I once had to do a story where the best valid source was in Ireland. The paper I was working at was not going to pay for an international phone bill. I had her e-mail address and voila. She even invited me to send follow-up questions as well.)

Plus, if you're just trying to get a few tidbits of information in a timely manner, it's a lot quicker to text most people who are in the 18-25 range because, in my generation's warped minds, it takes less time to text someone than it does to pick up the damn phone. I fought it for so long and I have friends who still refuse to text. However, we are in the minority.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm seeing a growing number or people in OUR end of the sports business who prefer text, IM or e-mail to communicate on simple business items, too. I talk on the phone a lot less with writers or whatever than I used to.

Draft saved Draft deleted