1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Use the phone for God's sake!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Elliotte Friedman, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

You don't.

How do you know the quotes in a press release came directly from the source, and not from a handler or agent? You don't.

Sometimes, you use them if you have to, noting where they came from. If there's any way to avoid it, I would. But sometimes there is not.

2. I don't quote press releases for that very reason. Ever.
    And an e-mail exchange is not even close to being an interview.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You're fortunate if you don't have to quote press releases. It's a necessary evil on a lot of beats.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Trust me. They don't.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The SID of the small college at my last (as in final) newspaper stop openly admitted to making up quotes for his coaches.

EDIT: The coaches said those quotes were usually better than any thing they'd have actually said.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

It is the stated policy of my paper that if you use quotes that come from a press release, e-mail, text message or IM, you MUST clearly state said source in the very first quote. We had a young news reporter who was fired two years ago for violating that policy. I thought it was pretty harsh, but that was the rule.

7. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

how do you quote a smiley face?

when asked what he thought about starting this week, Smith responded " :) "

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

very good.

9. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

10. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

If there's laughter in the background, you know it ain't Frank.

11. Sometimes I wonder if the people who have these cozy little rules have ever actually covered a beat.

Athletes return texts 100 times more often than calls. So we text them and get info.

Is it ideal? No.

Is it better than getting nothing? Yes.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Ding ding fucking ding.

Spot on.

Draft saved Draft deleted