1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Use Tape Recorder...Yes or No

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BNWriter, Aug 3, 2011.

?

I use a tape recorder or other recording device for interviews

1. Yes, sometimes

16 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Yes, all the time

49 vote(s)
    61.3%
  3. Yes, tape recorder some; another mode others

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. No

4 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Another device used (Specify)

9 vote(s)
    11.3%
  1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I find this interesting. As a young guy myself, I invested in a $100 Sony stero record that has served me well thus far. For a backup, I use a digital camera that has a specific voice recording setting.

I have noticed that it seems to be almost directly based on age as to what type of recorder. Older guys use short hand only, then middle use tape recorders, then young use digital.

Personally, the digital recorders are no harder to use than tape recorders. There's little technical knowledge needed to transfer files to a computer, either, or attach them to an email for further storage. I don't truse people who use shorthand only. I have paid attention to other articles written by older reporters who transibed interviews with shorthand and did not record. In some instances, they have completely butchered quotes and even changed meaning.

I think even in tight deadlines, it's best to record and listen to playback. Even if you have it in shorthand, what's the harm in taking less than a minute to go back and listen once to that same quote, in order to insure accuracy?

As far as tape vs. digital, I was covering the Big Ten media days a week and a half back in their "one-on-one" sessions. Sitting at one of the coaches' table with 8 or so other reporters, all but two had digtal recorders. The two that didn't, however, both had tape recorders. One worked for one of the large Chicago newspapers, and the second is a well-known ESPN columnist.

In the end... maybe it's just whatever gets the job done the best for each individual.

2. awriter

awriter Active Member

With digital, you could save the file to the computer and then attach it to an email so you don't have to worry about the hard drive going. Also, I just bought a digital that has a memory card slot, too. Let's not forget, either, that tapes can break. I lost, oh, a few interviews that way back in the day.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Most of the "older guys" and "middle guys" I know have switched. Yes, it's true that the "older guys" are the only ones still not converted to digital, but it's wildly unfair to say "older guys use short hand only."

"Older guys" are more likely to use VHS, too. That doesn't mean there aren't many "older guys" who opted for the Blu-ray with surround sound.

Sincerely,

"Younger guy"

4. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

To your point about not saving interviews once they are transcribed, Joe: I am the same way. I figure once the story is done, the likelihood of my going back for something afterward is pretty low.

5. Cullen9

Cullen9 Member

A first happened to me yesterday...

It was my last stop of the day for my "first day of football practice" story. Coach sees me, kids clear, we start chatting and I take my recorder out. He sees it and says, "Do you have to use that thing?"

I say no, it just helps me do my job a little easier.

"I know, but I say so many things that just shouldn't be recorded."

And he's right. He's hilarious. I have one of his quotes from last year up on my cubicle that would never see the light of day (that light being news print). He's 100 percent honest and won't be afraid to say whatever is on his mind.

We have a good relationship. He gives me a lot of credit for the coverage of his team last year (the fall season was my first action at this paper). It was kind of weird that he asked -- considering I've always used a recorder with him before -- but I understand where he's coming from, even though he knows I won't run some of the ridiculous things he says.

But now I know: I won't be using a recorder with him anymore.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

You are media...he is the coach that you are reporting on.

It's his problem that he can't keep his mouth shut in front of you with a recorder going...don't let him hamper your job.

There are five words he can say (which many coaches pull on me if they say something stupid, even when I know I won't print it): That was off the record

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I disagree entirely. If Cullen's got a really good relationship cultivated, there's no reason to push the guy's buttons.

But I will say, Cullen, that if I were you, the next time I went to interview him, I'd pull out my recorder. If he stops you, just drop the "Sorry, coach. Force of habit." and put it away. I'm sure he won't mind, and if he doesn't stop you, keep recording him until he does.

8. Cullen9

Cullen9 Member

Depending on the situation, I might just pull out the recorder. Using the notepad actually saved me some time on Wednesday. When I got back to the office, I had to transcribe other interviews and start writing up the story. Since my editor is on vacation and I'm running solo this week, I was pressed to finish pages as well. I didn't realize until I was almost done with the story that just grabbing the quotes out of the notebook was a HUGE time saver. If I had recorded that whole interview -- which was a long one -- I would have felt it on deadline.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I agree with Versatile, and I'll even take it one step further. If the coach asks you not to use the recorder, and you acquiesce, you've taken what appears to be an already-good relationship and made it even stronger. It could very well lead to insider info you might not otherwise be privy to.

If it's "hampering your job," you may need to learn how to do it without the recorder, just as an option for situations like this.

10. mrbio

mrbio Member

I used to jot notes then one day this track and field guy told me he'd rather make eye contact than see me with head down scribbling his words. Tape recording makes for a much better connection which will then obviously evoke better quotes. Just my opinion. Once I started using the tape I could never go back to pen and pad.

11. Has anyone tried using the Dragon Dictation app? I've heard that you can record on it and then email a transcript of what was recorded to yourself, although I'm not sure how accurate it is. I installed the app on my i touch, but I think I need a microphone in order to use it.

I tend to record, but I hate how long it takes to transcribe- especially in-depth interviews for features. I've tried typing while doing phone interviews, but I tend to lose focus on what the person is saying and lose opportunities for important follow ups.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My wife has Dragon on her phone...I didn't like it much..if you talk too fast or with an accent (typical to most athletes) it's useless.

Draft saved Draft deleted