1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Use of "would"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clever username, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Why do some people write: "He would score with 7:01 remaining ..." or "The defense would force a turnover ..." instead of just writing, "He scored with 7:01 remaining ..."

It happened. It might have happened after something else, but it still happened. That play is over, never to be run again. The future holds nothing for that play. I've never understood why people do this and it irritates me to no end when I see it, but I've seen it enough to wonder if it is, in some way, grammatically correct.
  2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I would comment on this thread, by saying I agree with you.
  3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

At least they didn't go with, 'he would of scored...'

Your example isn't grammatically incorrect, it's just silly writing.
  4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I think people pick up this nasty habit from TV folks. When I see it in print, it always makes me think of the TV highlight in which the scoring play isn't shown, but the anchor says, "He would go on to score three plays later," or some such thing.

Completely unnecessary in print, though, because you don't need to explain why the viewer/reader can't see the play happening.
  5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Some people think it sounds more intelligent or more formal. A lot of amateurs (new stringers, youth sports people, etc.) seem to think newspaper writing is more formal than it is.
  6. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

This might be my No. 1 pet peeve. Everyone at my shop does it, and more often than not, the errors make it into print. There's no excuse: It's just bad writing. But Barsuk's right: I think it is a TV-related thing.
  7. joe

joe Active Member

I would have been OK if I hadn't drank that jumbo martini.
  8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

If it weren't for my horse, I would have never spent that year in college.
  9. ARD

ARD Member

See it frequently; remove it at the same rate.
  10. John

John Well-Known Member

I see this more in SID copy than anywhere else.
  11. Editude

Editude Active Member

It's also underused by people who use "will" instead when referring to future if/would sequences.
  12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've got some would for you. ...
Draft saved Draft deleted