1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Use of the word "harriers"

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by Michael Echan, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

I'm writing the headline of a XC story and I'm wondering if it would be acceptable to use "harrier" in it. The headline would read "Team A harriers nipping at Team B's heels." Suggestions?

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Not a chance.

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

We've got a very old writer at our place who uses terms like that and 'cagers' and 'gridders' and the like all the time. We usually let it slide, although a more respectable paper probably would not and I'm not in favor of it.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

While the word 'harrier' is technically correct - it's one of the secondary definitions of the word, behind 'small hawk' and 'hound' - it's archaic sounding, unfamiliar to most folks except as a shopworn sports phrase like 'kegler,' and draws unnecessary attention to itself.

Let sleeping harriers lie. Look for something less arcane.

5. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Got it. I'm going with "runners" instead. Thanks for the advice.

6. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Writer - and I use the term loosely - for a local daily here uses the term harrier.

He also uses "duffer" in reference to prep golf...

7. I used to use all of those ironically. (Too many Chip Hilton novels when I was a kid. Pete Williams of the Valley Falls Times was big on them.) Inevitably, I'd get a letter from someone between 85 and 300 years old telling me how much he liked my stuff because it reminded him of the good old days.

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I've always found "thinclads" to be amusing.

9. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

Waste of space and wording.

Why not "Team A nipping at Team B's heels"?

Draft saved Draft deleted