1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Use of "passes away"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jun 21, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Hard to imagine we got this far without ...

It's not pining, it's passed on. This parrot is no more. It has ceased to be. It's expired and gone to meet its maker. This is a late parrot. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace. If you hadn't nailed it to the perch, it would be pushing up the daisies. It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible.

This is an ex-parrot.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I laughed so fucking hard at this.

Sorry, death thread. Blame it on Mikey.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

It's been hammered home on this thread, but I just want to say that on the first day of my first journalism class in college, our professor told us in no uncertain terms that it's "died" and no other euphemism.

Although, I do like "Bit it."

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

funny, but i don't remember a damned thing from j-school other than the parties we had.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Died.

Newspapers died in 2008, or thereabouts. They did not expire or pass away. They died, just like the souls of newspaper managers across the country.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

If I'm paying for the obit, as I wrote my own old man's, I'll use whatever conceits I please.

I don't see why this is a big deal.

7. Died -- end of story

8. Yes on the paid obit. Absolutely not in a news story.

Funny how there's all sorts of threads on here with people spewing hatred about "walk-off homer" and the like, but they don't see the point in keeping it simple and to the point when someone dies.

9. I think "passed away" is like nails on a chalkboard even in real life. I can't believe there are professional journalists standing up for its use in newspaper stories on this thread.

I don't understand why people use that euphemism all the time. Is dying so shameful that it cannot be mentioned? What's the point?

10. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Put me in the "is taking a dirt nap" camp.

11. Former child star Brad Renfro passed away yesterday. He was terrific in The Client.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Died. Don't use two words when one word will do.

Draft saved Draft deleted