1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Use of "passes away"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Like Larry David's beloved c.u.n.t???

2. the fop

the fop Member

greatest "curb" ever.

3. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I was going to write a posting full of frustration, but died recently made a lede at my paper, although both the skybox line and headline had passes. It was nice seeing a rare bit of increased professionalism at the paper, a place that too often makes me think of a line Casey Stengel used when managing the New York Mets in the 1960s, "Can't anybody play this here game?"

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I've always sort of viewed "passed away" as somewhat passive. If nothing else, it's an extra word when one will do the trick.

5. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I have mentioned around the office that one of the first things I was taught was "Always use as few words as possible," and how "passed away" is two words and died is one.

The basic problem is a clueless publisher with no commitment to quality and no market pressure to make the paper better. (Paper is distributed for free, so there's no risk of turning off readers.)

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Taking a dirt nap.

7. We're not allowed to use stupid euphemisms. It's died. You did not pass away. You are not pushing up daisies. You did not kick the bucket. You died.

Edit to add: I just now realized I quoted someone from July.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Personal favorite.

My first job in the business was writing, entering and confirming obits and dead scripts (notices). I so wanted to quit. I hated it. It was awful. But, at night, they would let me work the prep desk, answer phones and sling horse agate. So, for a kid in school, it was a way in...

Probably where I picked up my gallows humor.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Died, killed, murdered.

Don't use "passes away" or "expired."

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

People are not milk. Most of them, anyway.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

why do you hate jesus, zeke?

Draft saved Draft deleted