1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Use of "passes away"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jun 21, 2007.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Passes away is not a synonym. As other have said, people die.
    Perhaps someone who dies of natural causes while sleeping passes away, but I wouldn't use it there either.
    One of our deskers always changes "the soldier died in Iraq" to "the soldier was killed in Iraq" to be more accurate.

2. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

It's not a synonym, it's a euphamism. We don't write about things to make people feel better. We write about it to inform people.

3. sportsed

sportsed Member

You mean they really didn't go to puppy heaven?

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The minute you use passes away, you are opening the door to "went home to his sweet Lord Jesus."

They died. That's what you write.

It's a form of euphemistic double-speak, and, as such, has no business in the newspaper.

Neither do terms like "collateral damage" or "coalition of the willing" or a million other things, either, by the way.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Died.
    The first boss I ever had as an intern made that point in our first meeting. Hated "passed away" or any variation.
    He's dead. A perfectly good word.
    He died. A perfectly good word.

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

Go to sleep in Christ? That's awful. Thankfully I've never read that one before now.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Kind of off the subject, but the way obituaries are written these days since they are paid for have some of the most hilarious flowery language.

8. shecky

shecky Member

I had always hated "passed away." I thought when my father died last month my opinion might change.
    Nope. When people tell me they're sorry my father passed away, I thank them then cringe. I was there with him. He didn't pass away. He died. Nothing painful about speaking the truth. No need to put cherries on it.

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Longest, most flowery-written obit on any non-famous person I've ever read. It was written by her husband (owner of the funeral home), and does include this line: "Perhaps she experienced the most joy as she nursed our sons for the first fourteen months of their lives."

http://www.legacy.com/WacoTrib/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=88721136

10. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

You don't pass away in a car wreck. You die there.

Don't say "pass away" in a hed, but it's ok sometimes in the story.

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

First, I think it's always "died".

Having said that, some of the euphamisms for death are funny as hell... going on to glory, resting in the arms of jesus, shuffling off the mortal coil, tripping the light fantastic (never seen it, someone said it once.. always struck me as cool/wierd), snuffing it, checking out (a favorite of my dad, for some reason).

Draft saved Draft deleted