1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Use A Condom -- Go To Hell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Oct 17, 2007.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Oh, and ace, congrats on 17,000.

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Yeah, make sure to update that on your Plain-Dealer resume.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Well, you certainly aren't living.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Done.

5. Holy god.
    A couple of billion (and climbing) on a useless war and we're going to pinch pennies on disease-prevention and contraception. Besides, this woman doesn't oppose them on economic grounds. She opposes them because she believes that people who do bad things with their pee-pees should get sick, die, and go off to hell where they belong.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You know what else chaps my hide? Paying for someone else's anti-depressants.

Unless those fuckers are going to buy my whiskey after work, they can cheer up on their own or pay their own freight.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wow, you're really reaching here.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

How so?

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Um, I was just responding to his post. I wasn't making a policy statement. Sometimes people choose to make economic decisions that are not just rooted in financial costs. So I wasn't advocating anything, let alone "pinching pennies," although I would suggest that if health care is a priority we concern ourselves with the intractable problem of paying for everyone's cholesterol and diabetes medications before we devote resources to handing out condoms to everyone... And for what it's worth, I think it's ludicrous to appoint someone to a post, when she opposes the thing her post is about.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

People choose to get laid.

Most people I know who have battled depression did not choose to get put on Xanax or Prozac or some other "wonder" drug.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I'm not sure how this became another referendum on who's responsible for the cost of what. The root of the story for me is that you've got another hardline fundamentalist in a government science position. Teaching abstinence only - without regard to science and prevention - doesn't work. Faith alone is not enough, as the skyrocketing statistics for teen chlamydia and syphillis and gonhorrea show. Abstinence alone doesn't work concerning contraception, and it doesn't work concerning disease.

As to the costs, government sees fit to provide vaccinations and immunizations to those who can't afford them. Those that can, pay as they go. Some remain free for everyone. The government sees the preventive value in them.

Sex, though, comes under the heading of another "faith-based" initiative in this administration, in which we preach teens at home and abroad to ignore the most powerful human impulse on the planet, cross our fingers, and rely on a 2,000 year-old book of poetry to ward off evil.

12. Of course, the other prong on the fork is that we are ruled by a governing philosophy that simply doesn't believe in the concept of the common good of the commonwealth.
    And Ragu? The "why do we spend on this when we should be spending on that?" argument really doesn't apply generally -- why am I paying Clarence Thomas's salary? -- but particularly not in this case, as jmac illuminated.

Draft saved Draft deleted