1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Use A Condom -- Go To Hell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Oct 17, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wicked, you have a logical objection. We have millions of people uninsured because health care is so expensive. And people with insurance are finding their insurance coverage covers fewer and fewer sickness and pain needs, because costs have outpaced general inflation by a wide margin. We can't afford to insure the basic catastrophic medical needs. Yet, we have people skipping right past "cancer care for everyone!" to "condoms for everyone!"

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Similar argument for fining people who don't wear seatbelts.
    People say drivers should make their own choice on whether or not to wear them and that fines for that are a bad idea.
    However, a lot of people injured in traffic accidents who didn't have on a seat belt are then a financial burden on hospitals/doctors because they don't have insurance. Who pays for that? Taxpayers.
    At least in my mind, there's no reason to avoid a preemptive strike, on either topic.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I gotta believe that using a condom prevents the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.

I agree that not using a condom doesn't but the good part is that it doesn't cost the taxpayer a dime.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Wicked --

What about women who are on the pill to regulate their cycles? Are they SOL, too?

What percentage of the population do you suppose remains sexless or has sex purely for procreation?

And I know of no plan that covers condoms. Condoms are, however, available at your local Planned Parenthood office for free.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So are you for mandating condom use? Not sure I'm wanting to go there.

I might be willing to volunteer to ticket offenders who aren't wearing one, however.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

So are you volunteering to do a condom check on sexual participants?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure. I figure if I tape it I can make a few bucks on the side.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No argument that using a condom prevents STDs. But again, you are looking at it the wrong way.

What percentage of people are already using condoms without taxpayers paying for them? What percentage of government-supplied condoms will end up not being used?

You need to know the answers to things like those before you attempt to evaluate the costs of providing them relative to the costs of not providing them.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I've never had sex. Am I really dead?

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

She'll be promoting Tina Fey's controversial advice book for teenage girls called, 'Your Mouth Can't Get Pregnant.'"

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You know what else I'm tired of paying for? Wheelchairs.

Those people choose to leave their bed, they can pay for it themselves.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

My comment had more to do with taking care of a problem up front, but whatever. If people don't want to wear condoms, they're not going to wear them.
    But why not make them -- or any contraceptive -- a little more affordable? Can't hurt.
    Most people in this country don't even know that they can walk into any Planned Parenthood and get them for free.

Draft saved Draft deleted