1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USDA: They're not hungry ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Nov 16, 2006.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

... they just lack "food security."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/15/AR2006111501621.html

Some Americans Lack Food, but USDA Won't Call Them Hungry

By Elizabeth Williamson
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, November 16, 2006; Page A01

The U.S. government has vowed that Americans will never be hungry again. But they may experience "very low food security."

Every year, the Agriculture Department issues a report that measures Americans' access to food, and it has consistently used the word "hunger" to describe those who can least afford to put food on the table. But not this year.

Mark Nord, the lead author of the report, said "hungry" is "not a scientifically accurate term for the specific phenomenon being measured in the food security survey." Nord, a USDA sociologist, said, "We don't have a measure of that condition."

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Wow. Spin at its worst.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

And D_B is not a virgin. He's just experiencing 'very low female interaction security.'

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

I know this sounds like bureaucratic gobbledegook, but when you read the story, it appears they are seeking to get very specific about the problem. If I don't eat lunch until 3:30 in the afternoon, I am hungry.

I remember 40 years ago at a Fire Department picnic talking to a woman who said when she was a kid, they would eat like kings for the first two weeks of a month but by the end of the month, she would be stealing food so her brothers and sisters would have something to eat.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I understand what they're trying to do -- but in trying to better describe the condition, they're also sterilizing it.

Reminds me of a Carlin rant from many years ago. Goes something like this -- Soldiers in World War I suffered from shellshock... later it became combat fatigue... in Vietnam, it became Post-traumatic stress disorder. You know what, if it was still called shellshock, the guys coming back from Vietnam would get the help they really need...

Draft saved Draft deleted