1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USC's Stafon Johnson seriously injured

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deskhack, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

So, does USC have 100 positions in its athletic department for spotters? Even 25? Aren't spotters typically just other players on the team. How do you fire them?

Train them better, yes.

2. fitnessscribe

fitnessscribe Member

That sounds like just about the most idiotic exercise a person could even think of doing!

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't see how you can be trained to prevent this. If people are picturing some guy going for his max bench press, where he's heaving, straining, inching the bar up...yeah, a spotter or two should be ready for an instant grab of the bar, because there's some expectation that this won't work. But the every day bench press is a guy pumping out a reasonable weight over and over again, without overbearing strain. It would be like 1..2..3..4..SLIP! You'd never catch that in time. You could only get it off the guy's throat, after the damage is done. And I'm guessing a three-figure weight on someone's throat does the damage in milliseconds.

4. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

In that situation, the spotter (or two) already have their hands on the bar (or should).

And I STILL don't see how the bar "slips" towards the throat, unless he is using an underhanded grip. Which he SHOULD NOT be doing on a max attempt.

And a Pac 10 weight training staff would know all of this.

5. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Yes it can. Was he using chalk? Were his palms sweaty? What type of grip was he using? All questions that need to be answered, as well as many others.

6. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

It's possible the spotter was talking to others, not paying attention to the player on the bench. But I'm not sure how you can make such a definitive statement yet.

It's also possible his hands were under the bar and, depending on how much the kid was benching, that he couldn't stop the bar from dropping all the way down.

I lift several days a week. Don't do free-weight bench because I don't have a spotter.

But over the years I've seen spotters do their jobs and the bar still drops down and touches a guy on the chest.

7. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Unless he was using an underhand grip, or holding the bar in his fingers (which no trainer worth a shit would allow), I disagree.

I still think we need more facts.

8. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Me too, dude. On the chest. Its the neck part that I can't wrap my mind around.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

As I mentioned before, is it out of the realm of possibility that something happened with his shoulder, wrist or elbow that caused the bar to fall at an awkward angle? That's all I can think of as to how the bar would land on his throat.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

What if it "landed" on his upper chest and rolled down to his throat, crushing it that way? I've seen that happen with inexperienced lifters (not that Johnson was one, but still.)

11. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

THAT I can see.

It's the word "slip" that is throwing me off.

12. fitnessscribe

fitnessscribe Member

Or maybe he was doing a decline bench? That would make it more likely, I'd think.

Draft saved Draft deleted