1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USC's Stafon Johnson seriously injured

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deskhack, Sep 29, 2009.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

um, maybe because the guy's JOB was to make sure he's paying close enough attention to prvent this from happening? listen, i know diddly about lifting, but isn't a spotter's JOB supposed to be to be on the SPOT so this doesn't happen?

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yes, but what exactly happened?

You don't know that and you know what, if he was benching say like 300 pounds or more, if it slipped or the weight shifted quickly, a spotter might not be quick enough to stop it from falling on him.

Sometimes shit happens and nobody is resonsible for it. But not in this sue-happy society -- someone absolutely had to be at fault!

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This would have never happened in Coach Gagliardi's program.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Maybe the kid had no business trying to lift that poundage. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

The strength and conditioning guru at the NFL Combine spends a hell of a lot more time yelling and cajoling than he does spotting.

5. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

This is awful. I don't see how you can say the spotter should be fired, this was an accident. We don't know the situation and that's a pretty knee-jerk reaction without knowing the facts.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

There's not a problem with starting a thread like this. We don't expect, or I don't expect you too look through numerous pages of posts to find things.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What he said (and with that name, he should know). You'd need a crystal ball and cat-like reflexes to be a throat protector, not just a spotter.

And what a horrific, terrifying accident.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Doctor says Johnson's muscular neck probably saved his life.

He can't talk, and he probably won't play again, but he'll live, and he'll be able to talk again.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-t25-usc-johnsonhurt&prov=ap&type=lgns

9. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

I'm not sure I understand your rant completely. I get that this deserves its own thread and shouldn't play out on the CFB thread for Week 5. But is the alternative to have a different thread for each game? I don't think that's what you're saying. Is the alternative to not discuss the games at all? I don't think that's what you're saying.

Are the running threads often handled (mishandled?) in a ridiculous way? I guess that's what you're saying. And by your last sentence I assume you think fewer threads are better than more. That's why you started the running Obama thread, right?

We agree about this subject needing its own thread. I guess I'm just trying to understand your rant.

10. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Isn't there something called a "spotter's bar" that is now on newer weight benches? Just to prevent such accidents from happening, mainly for when a lifter doesn't have a spotter available.

Just figured all the big places would have that. Plus, use a spotter for their prime athletes.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe this is one of Pete Carrol's jokes to loosen up the squad.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This reminds me, so much, of another athlete, from The Master's College in Southern California, who nearly died on the basketball as a result of a similar freak injury.

Read this story on Phil Sanson, and decide if you don't think a larynx injury is among the scariest you can think of. (It's an old link, so you'll have to read page by page for the full story.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-07-10/sports/sp-11718_1

Draft saved Draft deleted