1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USC's Stafon Johnson seriously injured

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deskhack, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Deskhack

Deskhack Member

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

It's on the Week 5 college football thread, posted about 7 hours before this one.

3. Deskhack

Deskhack Member

Damn...fail

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Hardly. This is a bit deserving of its own thread.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Definitely deserves its own thread ... can't believe the AP story had a quote from a strength and conditioning coach who, after noting that another coach was spotting Johnson, noted, "It's a good thing we had someone spotting him."

Really? That coach should be out on his ass (if there even was one spotting him, which I'm beginning to doubt). He sure as shit didn't do his job as a spotter if it crushed Johnson's larynx and he had to undergo hours of surgery.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Look don't beat yourself up but learn from this.

When starting breaking news threads always use a spotter.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Not to digress, but perfect example of why these massive running threads are ridiculous. I glanced at the board, couldn't believe there wasn't a thread on this subject. Who wants to dig through these all-in-one threads to find real stories? It's like a newspaper without headlines.

Sorry for the little rant. At least I didn't start a new thread about it.

8. fitnessscribe

fitnessscribe Member

Maybe it was a weight that the spotter knew Johnson could rep out easily and wasn't anticpating a problem? It doesn't exonerate the spotter, but if Johnson benches 270 for 8 or so reps regularly, you don't expect the weight to slip. And 270 pounds will fall quickly. You can't react in time unless you're right under the bar and expect it to happen. Just an unfortunate accident.

9. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Freaking scary, I hope the kid is OK. I can't imagine how frightened I would be if that happened to me.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would want to kill the spotter

11. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

This is why I don't lift weights.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Gee, there is a shock.....

And I'm not sure why coaches need to be fired here. It sounds like it was an accident, a freak accident, but an accident.

Why is it in this society today that when there is an accident, someone has to be sued and someone has to get fired?

Draft saved Draft deleted