1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USC's hoops team bans itself from tourney...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Crash

Crash Active Member

And people wondered why so many schools backed off Mayo throughout the recruiting process.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That's not true.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Oh really?

http://www.mapleleaftrackclub.com/collegebound.html

http://compliance.pac-10.org/ccacaitems/surveys/ictransfers.pdf

http://ncpanow.articulatedman.com/more?id=0004

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I wonder if USC fans would have found the whole Mayo debacle worth it if he'd led them to a Final Four.

I bet Mizzou fans would have, and Vol fans as well if the shoe was on their feet, so to speak.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Virtually every major conference has a one-year sit-out rule. In some instances in almost every sport there is immedeiate eligibility.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The USC thing is bad - but I just got through the Sports Illustrated college hoops preview and I read things in the little team previews that seem fishy as hell. The Findlay Prep kids, players who give up their scholarships so the team can sign another player, coaches finding players jobs, players attending two or three high schools over the last couple of years. Parents moving cross country with their highly prized recruit sons. No doubt some assistant is set up to take the fall - but it's still hard to believe some of the human interest stuff isn't a violation.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Which is why programs like USC take the gutless step of doing this after the season begins, so they can have a roster and play the season without fullscale evacuations. This is the worst.

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

USC has looked every bit the NCAA Tourney team the past month. The Pac-10 is awful, but SC could be its best team.

Interesting that this is Floyd's first real dance with the NCAA. He's one of those guys who always looked the part of a scofflaw, but never really had the rap sheet. One of his boys — Kermit Davis — got his ass handed to him at Texas A&M shortly after they parted company at Idaho, and Larry Eustachy did his stupid thing at Iowa State, but Floyd always kept clear of the scrum.

Guy can coach, though. BTW, what's with USC and crusty assholes? They go from Henry Bibby to Tim Floyd to Kevin O'Neill? When Carroll goes does Tom Coughlin get the gig? Bill Snyder?

Draft saved Draft deleted